Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Complete noob needs help...  (Read 2550 times)

fanuvbrak

Complete noob needs help...
« on: December 25, 2006, 02:16:33 PM »
I swear I searched and I only got a thread about someone plugging a USB device back in and it wasn't recognized.

Here's the deal: I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition on a Gateway 815GM.

I have an external hard drive running from a 2.0 USB port. If I plug anything else into one of my other USB ports, the computer will not recognize it. If I unplug the hard drive, I can access the new device. The propblem is, all of my music is on the hard drive and the new device is a Zune...I need 'em both at the same time.

Help if you can, or maybe just point me in the right direction.

And if you could respond in easy to understand terms, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Complete noob needs help...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
Have you tried plugging something else in before the HDD?
Can you then access two devices at the same time?

fanuvbrak

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 02:19:55 PM »
I have tried everything. I read on another board that if you unplug the PC for 30 minutes or so, it would work, but that didn't help.

Merry Christmas by the way (or Channukah or Kwa'anza).

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 02:20:38 PM »
Merry Christmas.
Has the PC always been like this?

fanuvbrak

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 02:23:01 PM »
I'm not sure, as I rarely had the need for two devices at the same time. You think it could just be installed improperly?

My printer is USB and it works, though.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 02:27:02 PM »
Does your printer work when the hard drive is plugged in?
Check your USB ports and cables for dust.

fanuvbrak

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 02:48:41 PM »
This is some info I got from googling. Do they sound like they're feasible?

It seems that many people are still getting the 'USB Device not Recognized' problem from time to time. Unfortunately there is no easy fix.

Firstly, it's recommended that you make sure every one of your motherboard drivers are completely up-to-date, but you probably already knew that.

In XP, after a USB port isn't used for a long while the USB driver built into the OS sets the OHCI controller to suspend. When you plug a device back in, it can sometimes fail to 'wake up' properly. This problem was supposedly fixed in SP1 but there is a related registry hack that may still be able to help.

Run regedt32.exe and navigate to;

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb

Create the Usb key if it doesn't already exist. Under this key, create a new DWORD value called DisableSelectiveSuspend and give it a value of 1. Then restart the PC.

A long shot perhaps, but I recall having similar problems with a USB hub built into my Microsoft keyboard and adding this key seemed to solve it. It wouldn't hurt in trying .

Alternatively, removing all entries relating to USB in Device Manager and all associated USB drivers will force XP into refreshing the USB driver stack.

Begin by unplugging all USB devices, then use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall any USB driver software. Next, boot up into safe mode and go to Device Manager. Once in device manager make sure 'Show hidden devices' is checked under the View menu. Uninstall all device entries in this order;

1. USB peripheral devices (printers etc.)

2. HID and/or Composite USB (Human Interface Devices) You're using PS/2 input devices so you may not have this entry.

3. USB Root Hub(s)

4. USB Host Controller(s) (Universal or Enhanced Host Controllers)

Then boot back into Windows (not safe mode) and it should populate the Root Hubs & Host controllers again. Proceed to plug your USB devices back in, starting with your powered hub. Be aware that most USB printers and scanners need to have their drivers installed first before you plug them in.

Hopefully some of this may be of help, let us know how you get on.