Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Doesn't Start  (Read 3515 times)

zephth

Computer Doesn't Start
« on: December 21, 2006, 12:19:27 PM »
Ok, I'm new here, but kind of in a hurry to get my friend's "poopy" PC up and running. So I'll intro myself later.

Well, I have on my hands a (MSI) MEGA 651 PC.

It's a computer in a small box with an LCD screen on the front.
Anyways:

It was running kind of slow, so my friend asked me to check it out.
Some things I noticed were that the heatsink fan turns off somtimes while the PC is in use, there is another fan somewhere in there and there isn't a whole lot of free space inside the box. (get more info here)

I also noticed the insufferable amount of dust all over.. everything.
So I took the whole thing apart. Noticed the HD was right side up, which it's not supposed to be, it's got to be upside down. (someone must have messed around here before)

I even took the heatsink off because it was full of dust. I replaced the thermal paste. I had the lithium battery out for a while.

After I finished cleaning up the thing (oh yeah, there was another small fan attached to to a plastic thing on the mobo, which resembles a heatsink.)
I put the whole thing back together again, hooked up a monitor and KB to the PC and stuck the power cord into the PC.

At that instant the smaller fan begins working, the fan in the power sup. starts working, and also the light on 6-in-1 card reader is on. I press the power button, and guess what!

Nothing!

huh, the smaller fan stops working when I take a smaller "power wire" out of the mobo, but other than that nothing changes.

I'm stuck, someone suggest something, or better, help me out.

GX1_Man

Re: Computer Doesn't Start
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »
After I finished cleaning up the thing (oh yeah, there was another small fan attached to to a plastic thing on the mobo, which resembles a heatsink.)
huh, the smaller fan stops working when I take a smaller "power wire" out of the mobo

Would that be the cooler for the Northbridge? It sounds like you are not totally familiar with the workings of a computer, so repairing, especially someone else's, can be a risky business. In this case we went from a slow machine to a non-functional machine.

That being said, an incorrect assembly is most likely OR something damaged during the procedure from ESD or rough handling or just plugging wires in. Did you follow ESD precautions? Time to recheck the assembly and keep your fingers crossed.

zephth

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »
Yeah, well, I've taken apart a computer apart before, put it together, it works.

The thing is I'm sure that I have put it back together the way it was before I took it apart, I'm sure nothings broken.
Explain what the ESD precaution is.

:-/

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:08:01 PM »

zephth

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 01:33:50 AM »
So, what... I might have fried the cpu? :o
That would suck.

What would you suggest for me (or my friend) to do at this point (don't what is going on) :-?

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 03:24:58 AM »
You may want to check again to make sure everything is seated properly(As you were cleaning up the mobo), you may have moved some of the hardware around. The auxillary power is plugged in right?
Also, you didn't unplug any of the buttons accidentally?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:26:19 AM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 08:49:08 AM »
Yeah, well, I've taken apart a computer apart before, put it together, it works.

[highlight]The thing is I'm sure that I have put it back together the way it was before I took it apart,[/highlight] I'm sure nothings broken.
Explain what the ESD precaution is.

:-/

We have to rely on the poster for this info.