Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio  (Read 6396 times)

Jump_start

Problem with SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
« on: December 26, 2006, 10:09:20 AM »
Seasons greetings all. :)

I hope this is the correct forum to post this. My sound has not been working for some time. There is no "speaker" icon in the tray, and when I look at Multimedia properties the whole audio page is greyed out and nothing can be clicked on. Clicking on System, there are yellow exclamation marks next to SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio and Wave Device for Voice Modem.

The device status for Soundmax says
"This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed (code 10). Try upgrading the device drivers for this device."

When I click the buttons to do that, it says
"the best driver Windows found is already installed for this device."

For the Wave Device it says
"The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall driver."

Doing the latter gets me
"unable to locate a driver."

I think I also had the yellow marks on the Soundbaster PCI128 Legacy device and Creative Labs PCI128 Sound Blaster at one point, but these were probably fixed by the buttons because Device manager says they are working properly. Sorry to be so vague.

I have Windows 98 SE, but that's all I know. I downloaded Everest to give you more info, but this programme freezes my computer as soon as it is loaded. I'm sure there is something else wrong as my computer always goes "nee-nar, nee-nar" like an ambulance when it's booting or when I load any programmes; also when I exit programmes and shut down. Do I need to move forum and try to fix this problem first?

I run AVG, Ad-Aware and Spybot regularly, and occasionally CWS Shredder, Cureit & Stinger. I have the old SpywareBlaster but not updated it to the new thingy.

Sorry this is all I can produce ATM. Please bear in mind I don't understand much about computers at all :'(

Any help greatly appreciated....

Saviour

Re: Problem with SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:52:34 AM »
Can you provide us with the manufacturer and model of your computer please?

Jump_start

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:02:48 AM »
Hi Saviour. :)
Must have gone to bed just before you replied (I'm in the UK.)

It's manufactured by Time. The main model number is (from invoice) 243T90 333M-2/5591.

On the back is a sticker with another hand-written model number 302-50-243.

Unfortunately, my Mum seems to think this company has gone out of business (I'm trying to fix her computer whilst I'm here.) Also, I know she had it repaired about 2 years ago. They definitely expanded the memory and I think put in a new motherboard and soundcard. I doubt she has a receipt for what was done.

I'm off for about 4 hours now,
Many thanks for your attention.  :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 04:12:01 AM »

I think I also had the yellow marks on the Soundbaster PCI128 Legacy device and Creative Labs PCI128 Sound Blaster at one point, but these were probably fixed by the buttons because Device manager says they are working properly. Sorry to be so vague.

I have Windows 98 SE, but that's all I know. I downloaded Everest to give you more info, but [highlight]this programme freezes my computer as soon as it is loaded[/highlight]. I'm sure there is something else wrong as my computer always goes "[highlight]nee-nar, nee-nar" like an ambulance when it's booting or when I load any programmes[/highlight]; also when I exit programmes and shut down. Do I need to move forum and try to fix this problem first?

There are several, perhaps MANY other problems than just the SoundMax (which is NOT a SoundBlaster PCI 128 chip/card). Do you have a real Windows CD to reinstall everything after backing up any important data? THat is the first thing I would do. Once everything is fixed software wise, then we can go looking for the correct drivers.

If there is a hardware fault, it will show up at this time as well, and that will need to be addressed. Chech to see that all fans are turning inside - the "ambulance sound" may be a heat sensor. ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:13:35 AM by GX1_Man »

Jump_start

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »
Hi guys back now.
Thanks for joining in too GX-1_Man :)

Bad news. Found the Windows 98 disk from original purchase but it says:

This CD-ROM is from an older version of Windows than the one you are presently using. Setup functionality from this disk will be disabled.

Sure enough, I cant have a look in the Add/remove programmes bit on the disk. There is no Windows disk for Windows 98SE, which the repair man must have upgraded to.  :(

Also, backing up will be a huge problem because there is no CD-burner so 10 years worth of stuff will have to go onto floppy disks, lots of images. Only got 2 ATM, LOL! ::)
She could probably have a go at this and just dump loads of stuff, but I would rather avoid if at all possible.

As to the fans, I looked in the back with a torch and couldn't actually see any. Therefore it seemed OK.  ;D

There are two grills, one with slits, one with holes so not much to look through. Is it advisable for me to unscrew the shell and take a proper look?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
Yes, looking is always better than guessing. If the hardware has problems that must be addressed first.

Maybe an external hard drive is called for before you start this adventure. (And perhaps a copy of Windows 2000 or 98SE from eBay.;) )

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 08:17:13 PM by GX1_Man »

Jump_start

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 03:10:24 PM »
Hi GX-1.
Just to let you know why I'm responding a bit slowly ATM, family's all meeting up so very buzy till New Year. I will look inside computer tomorrow and pop on when I can.

Would I need an external drive for backing up? :-?

Thanks,
See ya later J_S :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 06:51:22 PM »
An internal drive would be better if you are going to reinstall Win98 first edition as their USB support was a bit sketchy. It will also be cheaper. Just don't get one too big or the computer BIOS may not be able to deal with it.  ;)