Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Anyone know where I can hold a free website?  (Read 11504 times)

PL2007

Re: Anyone know where I can hold a free website?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 03:28:11 AM »
Nguyen, I've been there and my site isn't even commercial as such. It's just a free games lounge. Period.

I tried free webspace and keywords got completely dismissed, PHP scripts were not enabled and what's worse is that from what I can understand (I am totally self-taught which can be a nightmare) the more content you have up there, the more pages that will simply not display for the user. If you cram the freespace up to the hilt, even one user would have a problem seeing the pages. At least, I think that's right.

I moved over to paid hosting. £50 a year and now I can add as many games as I want and they will display for every user. Keywords galore and more.

As they are saying you get what you pay for.

Free space can work if the site doesn't have too many requests or too much content.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 03:29:33 AM by PL2007 »

myownworldoffuture

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 08:53:55 AM »
I want a business website for a product I'm selling

But I'm a little broke and my parents dont give me an allowance

Does anyone know any services that let oyu have a website for free, while giving you full control of like, everything from he gfx to the pretty much everything?

I've heard of google pages, but you need a cell phone to set up your account, which I do not have. If you have a google pages site tell me how it is as well.

I personally like freewebs
http://www.freewebs.com

It's a really good one

almn

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 12:06:38 PM »
Hello,

Do any of those free hosters allow the website owner to upload exe files ??

Thanks

Al968

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »
www.110mb.com does. 8-)
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Useless

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 06:06:39 PM »
www.awardspace.com

you get 5 sub-domains, an FTP server with PHP, PERL etc. installed and its free
i think its pretty good, also, it is Ad-Free

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »
Honestly, running apache on your own computer is the best way to go.  Hundreds of gigs of storage space, unlimited bandwidth (of course you're limited by your own connection's upload speed), and you can put whatever you want on the site.

I hadn't even touched Apache before I set my site up, and I think(?) I'm running a pretty secure server right now.  Using a dynamic DNS service can net you a decently professional looking address (unlike mine, which I chose for memorability, which turns out to be not so good anyway).

Of course, if you have a "business" that's not even making you the $10 per year it costs to buy a domain name, I don't think you need to worry a ton about how professional your address sounds.

That's my take.

-rock

p.s.  Sorry about the 5-day bump.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 07:24:45 PM by rockerest »
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.