Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Long Continous Beeps  (Read 3086 times)

hammertime540

Long Continous Beeps
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:27:18 PM »
HP Pavilion 753n
2.53ghz Pentium 4
512mb DDR SDRAM (2 256 sticks)
80GB Ultra DMA hd
Radeon x700pro

I bought some new memory for my secondary computer, and when I pulled out the old memory to see if they matched up, and they didn't. So I put the old memory back into the same slots, when I turned the power on, I get long continous beeps that never go away. [highlight]Im not getting anything from the screen, so I can't access bios.
[/highlight]
I have taken the memory out, sat them back into the slots many times applying a lot of pressure to make sure they were in tight. I tried using only 1 stick of memory in the first slot, tried both sticks. I even tried starting the computer without any memory, still same long beeps. Sounds like a bad ram slot to me, what do you think?  :-?

stones

Re: Long Continous Beeps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 09:38:08 PM »
I prey this did not happen but..

You didnt happen to notice a static shock when you touched anything on the computer, like when you were a kid and would rub your socks on the carpet then zap your sister in the neck with a static shock.

Even a very, very tiny shock, barely noticable even can cause damage. (when I work on my comp I manhandle the case before touching any internals and am barefoot just to make sure any static buildup is released)

Another possibility that is much easier to fix is- maybe you accidently unplugged the the power wire/or similar wire from the motherboard, its just a tiny pair of wires coming from the power button on the front going to the motherboard, it happed to me once, felt like an idiot after I figured it out because I was absolutely sure everything was fried :-[..

Im no pro, just a couple ideas.

hammertime540

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 09:53:06 PM »
I didn't notice any zaps but I wouldn't doubt that it happend. Whats it mean if it happend, would it short something or do i just need to discharge the computer somehow? And I have wiggled around wires and replugged them back in, including the wires your talking about. Still the long continous beep. Thanks for trying though  ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 10:10:31 PM by hammertime540 »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 02:00:17 AM »
Welcome to computerhope hammertime540. ;D

Sounds like the system Bios can't find your video card.

You could also try another keyboard.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:02:58 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:01:26 AM »
Those beep codes are diagnostic. Exactly what it means depends on your motherboard:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Do you still have your owner's manual to check?

ESD damage is permanent IF that is what happened.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:04:22 AM by GX1_Man »

hammertime540

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:07:50 PM »
I tried some new stuff, clearing the bios manually. The beeps went away, but I got nothing from the screen. Then a few seconds after running, it shutdown by itself for a few seconds. It then powered back up and started the long continous beeps. I read the beep codes, I don't see one for long continous beeps, unless its classified under "other beeps" which would mean bad ram. So im wondering if I get new ram that fits, if the beeps will go away and screen will pop up.

hammertime540

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 12:27:08 PM »
Ok nevermind I just put in memory from my other computer and still same results. Im thinking about just buying a new motherboard, sounds like everything else is still working just fine. Anyone have any good advice on buying a new motherboard? Like how do I found out if my power supply will match up right, I know I will need one with AGP for my graphics card to work. Where would be the best place to find cheap ones? Thanks for the help guys :P

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »
YOu might want to check with HP to see if a standard ATX motherboard will fit correctly in that case first.

Of course this assumes that your motherboard is the problem....and is the only problem.

I don't know that we have established that yet.