Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New HDD freezes comp during file transfer  (Read 2737 times)

zapper

New HDD freezes comp during file transfer
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:14:45 AM »
I just got a new 200 GB SATA Maxtor HD for Christmas (don't laugh). I already have a 120 GB ATA thats nearly full and jumpered as single (no jumpers). After plugging in the drive according to its instructions and starting up Windows, I activated the drive and formatted it, assigned a label, the whole deal... but when I try to transfer some of my larger video files, it just freezes the entire computer, including the mouse. Before that happens, I can see it and view its properties; I even used the XP error-checking utility on it, which came up normal. Understand, I can transfer a small amount of data to it (the actual amount varies each time).

I though it might be overheating, so I separated it from the rest of the computer, but the problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    -Shaun

stones

Re: New HDD freezes comp during file transfer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:20:59 AM »
Im no professional but here are my thoughts

1rst- Did you format to NTFS (reccomended)?
Fat32(the other type) formats can't handle any files over 4 gigs.

2nd- Did you replace the jumper on the original hardrive in the master configuration and the second in the slave configuration, and the same with the ribbon cable?

3nd- Does bios recognize the drive properly, operating system(boot) should be drive 0 and the slave drive should be 1

Hopefully you just formatted it to FAT32 thats an easily fixed problem.

zapper

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:38:30 AM »
The new drive was formatted to NTFS, but it was also SATA. Do you need the master/slave jumper settings between an SATA and ATA hard drive?

zapper

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »
Oh yea, and the bios recognizes the drive at its full capacity, but as SATA MASTER0, and the other is Secondary Master0.