Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dual hard drives  (Read 9793 times)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: dual hard drives
    « Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 12:22:12 PM »
    The installer told me to do something like F2 at Start, arrow to Boot and down to Hard Disk Drive--and choose the new drive. Do I have to restart my computer every time I want to access this??
    I bet the new drive has got XP on it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »
    Well that is a good question. What operating system was installed prior to all of this? What operating system starts up now?

jenbot

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »
    I've never accessed drive E. He installed XP on it--but with Christmas and all that jazz I just haven't had time to sit down and fiddle.

When I can find 2 seconds to sit--without kids crawling on me--I will try to move the folders. What great help!! Thanks

Jen

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »
      You'll probably want to wipe the harddrive before usage then.

GX1_Man

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »
      Well that is a good question. [highlight]What operating system was installed prior to all of this? What operating system starts up now[/highlight]?

So did you spend $100 for a copy of XP or is this an install of pirated software? If that is the case your installer messed up on several points. Where did the newly installed copy of XP come from?

Time to be honest here. First it was just an additional hard drive installed for storage. Then as the story progressed we find that Windows XP is suddenly installed on the newly added drive, but this never got mentioned.

So what is the FULL story?  ::)
      « Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 03:51:15 PM by GX1_Man »

Neil

Expert
        « Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 05:25:02 PM »
        Now, now GX, before we jump to conclusions, it seems to me that Jenbot's friend offered to give her his old harddrive, presumably which used to be a primary harddrive in an old computer. For one reason or another he did not format, or know he should have, this harddrive. I have done this before when getting a new drive for my computer. I just make my old one a secondary drive, and install a fresh OS on the new drive. My old operating system files still remain on the second drive, unless I choose to delete them. I do this so I can still access my old data easily.

jenbot

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 06:04:27 PM »
        Well, GX--I didn't think there were any WINDOW SHERIFF's on here--and really it's none of your *censored* business if I purchased the software, stole it from the store or found it lying in the middle of the flippin street.

Why would you jump to conclusions and get so nasty and accuse me of theft? You have no idea of the situation--only that I needed help accessing the computer. I never said, one way or another, where the harddrive OR software came from.

I would be happy to tell you where the hd and XP came from--but I think I'll keep you guessing.

I appreciate the back watching Neil!! Thanks!!

jenbot

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2007, 06:08:13 PM »
        As I reread GX's post I am more offended than ever.

Why would I come to you and ask for help and then not tell the truth about ANYTHING?? I wanted more space to put my pics on, end of story. I have the last 4 years of my life on this computer--2 kids and some great vacations--I don't intend to stop taking pictures and wanted more room to download for the next number of years. Is this so wrong?? And so what if XP is on there--is it "wrong" to have it on there and put my pictures on there?? I don't understand the big deal?

I am really offended here--I don't think you have any right to accuse me of what you did.
        « Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:15:17 PM by jenbot »

Serrik

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2007, 06:36:55 PM »
        First, he was trying to help you, everyone in this thread was.

Second, he has to be careful when a mere whiff of possible pirating comes up.  He has to be paranoid.  When a website is as visited as this one it gets legal attention fast if they start helping with pirated software.

Third, if you have Win XP on that 2nd hard drive, you should remove it unless you are the original owner who put it there.  There is no "grey area" about how you got it.  Ownership of a Windows license is not transferable from one person to another.

I am sure you did nothing intentionally wrong, and I don't think you are a theif.  But he had to ask what he asked.  If he hadn't, someone else would have.

Please be a little more patient with the VOLUNTEERS who are trying to help you, they are human too.

GX1_Man

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 06:38:49 PM »
        I don't think I ACCUSED you of anything. Please re-read the post and see that all I asked for is the full story. I was just trying to get information.

Why I asked is twofold. One reason is that we do not help with warez (pirated software) on this forum. Those are the rules and are clearly posted time and again. If this offends you that we don't assist with this you can complain to the Admin. There are legal issues involved and the issue is not negotiable. As a Moderator, I uphold the rules of the forum.

The second reason is that with Windows activation you will run into problems sooner or later with updating your software. The first hurdle will come 30 days after it was installed. Hopefully that will not be an issue for you.

As you can see from my previous postings I have been nothing but helpful toward getting your problem resolved. I certainly appreciate honesty from posters with questions and frequently we go round and round before the real issues come out. It makes it so much easier to get all the cards on the table. Surely you can see that the story did evolve over what was originally posted.

So you can be offended if you want. That's totally up to you.

And so what if XP is on there--is it "wrong" to have it on there and put my pictures on there?? I don't understand the big deal?

Hopefully you understand it better now. And yes, I now understand where it came from.  ;)
        « Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:47:07 PM by GX1_Man »

jenbot

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 07:01:56 PM »
        I don't understand how you say that the real problem "evolved". I never ASKED about helping me run Windows--I only asked how to "get to the new drive". With my limited knowledge of computers and your obvious vast knowledge--I think you are reading more into it.  If my question of how to access this--means that I needed to understand XP--then my mistake. I am just not following your reasoning about including XP in the mix.

I am very grateful for the help you've given me. I am offended because you jumped to conclusions and used a nasty tone with me. SOmething that was completely not necessary.

I originally was going to use the new drive for my main harddrive--and then the more I thought, the more I thought I'd use it for storage.

So the REAL story is my friend works at a computer store, the hard drive AND XP was purchased from him through the store. Should send receipts?

I probably wasted $100 on XP--JUST so you can sleep tonight!

Thanks for your help. I am sad that this ended this way. I have lots more questions that I could ask you--but instead I will just log off and not come back.

Thanks again!

GX1_Man

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »
        Oh well, she has gone and never did get what I was saying. Too bad.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

--From Hamlet (III, ii, 239)

Neil

Expert
          « Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 03:53:34 AM »
           :( If you're still having problems with things, please don't let pride and this arguement stop you from asking. GX1_Man is right, though, that you are not allowed to transfer operating systems like that. He didn't mean it as a personal attack.