Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive will not boot!!  (Read 2409 times)

oreo1

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Hard drive will not boot!!
    « on: December 28, 2006, 06:28:37 PM »
    ! My hard drive will not boot up!! I was able to get into the bios after replacing my battery and made a small change to check the fan at start up. I hit F2 to resume and it took me to this screen:

Phoenix bios 4.0 Release 6.0 G
    Copyright 1985-2000 Phonix Tech Ltd.
    All right Reserved
    Copyright 1999-2000 by Hewlett Packard
    Release 1.04
    CPU=AMD Athalon Processor 850
    640k System Ram Passed
    191 M Extended Ram Passed
    0512 Cache SRAM Passed
    System Bios Shadowed
    Video Bios Shadowed
    VMB Upper limit Segment Address E94B
    Mouse installed
    Fixed Disk 0: Maxter 6L06053
    ATAPI Cd-Rom Sony DVD RW DRI/710A
    ATAPI Cd-Rom Samaung DVD Rom SD-612
    Error
    CPU Fan Failed-Have System Serviced Immediately

Oh yea, it's a Hewlett Packard XL 776 Tower and all other important info about the computer is above in the bios.
    Anyway, I checked the fan on the power supply and another fan that goes to the Motherboard and neither one are working. The power supply is a Delta DPS 160 GB B. Output 185W Max.

The questions I have are as follows: Is the fact that the hard drive is not booting due to the power supply and fans? How do I test the power coming out of the power supply going to the hard drive? Does the hard drive need replacing? What should I check next to get the drive working?

Great site, and as always, thank you in advance for your help!!
    Oreo1

GX1_Man

Re: Hard drive will not boot!!
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 06:43:50 PM »
    !
    Anyway, I checked the fan on the power supply and another fan that goes to the Motherboard and neither one are working. The power supply is a Delta DPS 160 GB B. Output 185W Max.

The questions I have are as follows: Is the fact that the hard drive is not booting due to the power supply and fans? How do I test the power coming out of the power supply going to the hard drive? Does the hard drive need replacing? What should I check next to get the drive working?

The power supply problem needs to be addressed first. An off the shelf replacement usually does not work with these proprietary HP models, so search the web for a suitable replacement.

Here is one solution. 200 watts is still low for modern power supplies, but will be more than what you had.

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/200-watt-power-supply-FSP200-60SPV-D.php

After that is resolved the hard drive may have no issues at all.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 07:32:53 PM »
      oreo1.........
      Error
      CPU Fan Failed-Have System Serviced Immediately

If you check your bios settings , they are probably set to shut down on any system errors . ( thats why your machine won't boot up . ) thats a safety function . The cause is probably as GX1_Man has already suggested . The power supply has failed .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

oreo1

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:33:26 PM »
        GX1 & dl65,
        Thanks for the reply!! I'll order up that power supply and get back to you to let you know the outcome!!
        « Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 07:34:30 PM by oreo1 »
        Oreo1