Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No input to monitor after freeze and restart  (Read 1767 times)

pb368

No input to monitor after freeze and restart
« on: December 29, 2006, 07:56:38 AM »
Hi,

Once and a while, sometimes once a week to 3 times a day, the computer freezes leaving me no choice but to press and hold the start button to shut down.  Sometimes when I restart everything works fine until the next feeze.  Then, there are other times when I have to start and shut down a number of times until it finally kicks in and boots up normally.  On the failed start ups, the computer makes the normal noises but it seems to fail that final click, the monitor displays the notice that there is no input.  I've checked and double checked the connections.  The video card is about 6 months old.  The computer is a Gateway and is about 5 years old.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.    

pb368

Re: No input to monitor after freeze and restart
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:30:25 AM »
Hi,

I just got it up and running again after 5 hours and about 30 tries during that time period.  I noticed something that might be a clue.  I had the side cover off and noticed on the successful attempt that the motherboard fan came on when I pressed the switch.  Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: No input to monitor after freeze and restart
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 05:20:37 PM »
Most Gateways have a fan surge and the fan ALWAYS comes on when the machine starts. The initial fan speed quickly subsides to a reasonable level by the time Windows starts.