Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Forcing sys/boot drive letter to C:  (Read 2296 times)

keyven

Forcing sys/boot drive letter to C:
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:37:13 PM »
I recently reinstalled my Windows XP SP2, and it automatically assigns my sys/boot letter to D:

I cannot change it using Admin Tools (Local Disk Management)

I read the MS knowledgebase... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

and followed the instructions TO THE LETTER (ie. Using Regedit and switching the \DosDevices\C: around, etc etc)... but when i rebooted, the OS got stuck at the Pre-loading screen (windows introduction screen) and refuses to go further.

Is there a alternative, pref simpler, way to do this? Or can someone just explain why it's doing this to me?

I don't even mind Reinstalling my OS, just as long as I can be sure that it will be C: the next time i boot

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Forcing sys/boot drive letter to C:
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 01:11:03 AM »
I've had this problem when a usb device or another harddrive is connected. The easiest way to do this is to just have 1 harddrive connected (just so there is no confusion) then format it and install your OS.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

keyven

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 02:33:12 AM »
Funny you should mention the USB thing, cos i had an error with usbhub.sys soon after... probably a confirmation of your suspicions  ;D

And now i'm taking your advice and disconnecting all but my boot drive... thanks~

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 08:40:53 AM »
    I had a funny problem like this where I wanted to reinstall Windows afresh. However Windows setup thought C: was D: and D: was C:. Therefore I unknowingly installed 2 Windows on my computer, and not in a normal dual-boot way either. Imagine my suprise to restart my computer from the nice new Windows for it to boot up in my old Windows, exactly as I left it! With C: and D: swapped of course. It alternated between the two every time I restarted. Very unsual, and annoying as I formatted the wrong drive! In the end I had to open up my computer and physically unplug the other harddrive in order to force an installation to the C: drive... or at least what I wanted to be the C: drive!