Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3d imaging softwares  (Read 2870 times)

NEWnew

3d imaging softwares
« on: December 30, 2006, 02:53:21 AM »
Hi there, I am new in this forum :P
I want to ask a question with regards to 3d imaging softwares. Is there any computer software available that is able to convert real video images into 3D computer animations?

Basically, as an example, if I were to take pictures (many) of the exterior of a building (or take a continuous video of the building), is there a program that can read these images and convert them into a 3d building so I can spin and more it around?
So, rather than having to design the building from scrach using softwares such as '3ds Max', I can use a real building as a basis and make changes to it.

stones

Re: 3d imaging softwares
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »
NASA has software like that for creating 3d maps of planet surfaces using sat photos, not sure if its available to the public though.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 01:07:24 PM »
I've never used this but it looks interesting and it's free: 3DPlus 2 - Free 3D Animation and modeling Software.

Google also has a 3D modeling program called SketchUp.  It comes in two versions, the free version or SketchUp Pro 5 (not free).  See http://sketchup.google.com/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:10:54 PM by soybean »

Serrik

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 01:07:29 PM »
You would have to use a program like 3dstudio Max to design the 3d building as an object, then you could apply the pictures you took to the sides of that object.  There is no software that will automatically be able to look at a few pictures and reconstruct the building for you as a 3d object.

NEWnew

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 09:09:29 PM »
thanks guys for the info - it's really helpful