Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flashing 19inch Widescreen TFT  (Read 2316 times)

speaker01

Flashing 19inch Widescreen TFT
« on: December 29, 2006, 05:58:27 AM »
My wife bought an Emprex 19inch Widescreen TFT for my Christmas and when I connect it up it flashes going from a normal screen to black in rapid succession. I took it back to my local Comet (where it was bought), they wouldn't accept it. They instructed me to phone  the number which they wrote on my receipt. All that I get whenever I have tried to phone this number has been the continuous tone.
Maybe they are still on holiday?

In the meantime is there anything that I can try? I have tried to alter the resolution and the refresh rate.
When I hold two of the buttons at the side, the flashing stops, but when I have to let go the flashing starts again.

My system is as follows:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1gb ram
ATI Radeon Xpress 200

I would be most grateful if someone can come up with a solution to this problem

GX1_Man

Re: Flashing 19inch Widescreen TFT
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 06:03:10 AM »
If you go into the BIOS and the monitor still has this problem, then it is definitely the monitor.

If the monitor has a fault, then it is best to use the warranty, however it is required (check your documentation). THere are no user servicable parts.

A merchant that will not take back faulty merchandise? I would talk to the manager and find another store in the future.

speaker01

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 06:18:05 AM »
I can go into the settings without the screen flashing.

I take your point about talking to the manager, which I will do if I can't find a solution
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:25:20 AM by speaker01 »

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 06:40:15 AM »
    Try booting up in safe mode. Repeatedly press F8 when booting up. If it doesn't do it in safe mode, it might be your graphics card/drivers.

speaker01

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 06:49:22 AM »
    Safe mode is fine

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 05:16:59 PM »
    If safe mode is fine, then try changing the screen resolution. Most LCD's have a native resolution (see your manual) that they work best at.

Go to the desktop and right click and choose Properties to change this.

speaker01

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 08:07:36 AM »
    I have tried all that, nothing appears to work. What is the redraw rate and how do I alter it?
    GX1_Man, when you suggest going into Bios, do you mean just to open up in bios or alter something.

I can quite happily open up in Bios without any flashing.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 08:35:36 AM »
    Nothing to alter in the BIOS that will help your situation. I just wanted to know if the monitor was functional in some capacity before any Windows drivers came into play.

Did you check the resolutions as instructed?

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/screenresolution.aspx

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 08:46:11 AM »
      To alter the redraw/refresh rate: display properties > settings > advanced > look in monitor/adapter tabs. If it's not already, try 60Hz first.

speaker01

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 10:11:31 AM »
      Nothing to alter in the BIOS that will help your situation. I just wanted to know if the monitor was functional in some capacity before any Windows drivers came into play.

Did you check the resolutions as instructed?

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/screenresolution.aspx

Yes, in fact I have checked this quite a few times just to make sure and will do so again.