Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer slows down when...  (Read 3881 times)

drvingbird

Computer slows down when...
« on: October 01, 2004, 11:00:39 AM »
When my dsl is not working (a rare occasion) my computer slows down drastically: loading programs and navigating around is very slow. When it starts to work again everything is OK and it’s back to its speedy self. Why should this happen? I am running XP Professional on an IBM clone. Have good ram, lots of hard drive and lots of speed.

I would think the computer is a stand alone item and should not be effected by this; what will happen if in the future I decide to drop dsl – will I be stuck with a slow computer. (By the way, before installing the dsl, I had no problems with it.)
Many thanks for any help in advance.

Raptor

Re: Computer slows down when...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 11:45:17 AM »
Scan for viruses, spyware and trojans.

drvingbird

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 01:02:09 PM »
Thanks, but that's not it. I do scan every few days and if that were the case I would think it would effect the machine connected to the DSL or not.

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 01:53:18 PM »
What do you have loading at startup? Programs that update automatically might be looking for the connection and having to wait for the time out. Some will make several attempts.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 03:09:40 PM »
do you mean it  slows down when you are on the net....or just you are booting up...more info if possible..

drvingbird

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 03:15:46 PM »
To Dummy: You may be correct. Another suggested that my VPN may be trying to load and thus the problem. I will disable that next time and see if there is a difference, thanks.

To Merlin: No, it does not slow upon booting. It is slow when it is booted up and (since the DSL is out) I am not on the net. It is simply slow when on. In fact, it boots normaly. Thanks.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:37:04 PM »
run this >http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/  and come back...more info on what modem/router is used....is it networked?this is a list of programs running on bootup>http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm