Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video card problem = time to replace hard drive?  (Read 2712 times)

Hollywood_Gothique

video card problem = time to replace hard drive?
« on: December 31, 2006, 09:28:41 PM »
I've been using an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon video card to capture video for a few years now, with no problem. Suddenly, this month, when I try to capture, I get a message saying: "No video capture device is detected."

This sounds like something that a little troubleshooting should be able to fix. But this is the latest in a series of problems with the computer, starting this summer:

• In August, CP usage is at 100% even when nothing is running. We take computer to store that built it for us five years ago. The Repair Department says it's a virus and tries anti-virus software; when that doesn't work, they wipe computer clean and starts from scratch. We decided to upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP.
  • Computer works better than ever - until we discover that when we try to load software from CD-ROMS, we get error messages, saying files on the CD are corrupt. However, CD-ROMS load perfectly onto other computers.
  • We take computer back to the store. Repair Department tries and fails to load CD software onto computer, concludes hard drive has bad sectors. Solution: they will partition those off so only good sectors will be used, then successfully load softward from two CDs we left with them. Everything seems fine.
  • Computer works excellently well for two or three weeks. Then Windows XP refuses to let us log in; error message says we need to register, but registraton process will not complete. Several calls to Windows tech support get problem fixed.
  • Eventually, we find that some software still does not load properly onto computer from CD-ROMS; usually, two or three error message proclaim that certain files are corrupt. The actual number of error messages varies depending on where you try to load the software (as I found out when I accidentally loaded my old ULead video editor into My Documents folder instead of Programs folder).
  • Finally, problem with video capture manifests itself. Same problem occurs no matter what software I used (ULead, Windows Movie Maker, or Nero). Could be unrelated, but who knows at this point?

I don't really expect a diagnosis based on this info; I'm just hoping for a general opinion about what you would do next in this situation:

• Would you go back to the same Repair Department at the store (because they know the history of the computer)? Or since they had two tries and still couldn't get it right, should I go to someone else?
  • Would you view all these problems as separate coincidences, or should I start to conclude that the hard drive with the bad sectors needs to be replaced? Could the switch to from ME to XP have had anything to do with it?

Thanks

Serrik

Re: video card problem = time to replace hard driv
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:38:40 PM »
Alright, first of all I have no clue about your video capture problems.  Never used one so can't help you with that.

Now, my impression is you are having issues with possibly a bad CD ROM not a bad hard drive, but we can test and be sure.

Download the appropriate hard drive testing software for your make of hard drive from this link:  http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1122425778

This will test your hard drive for bad sectors.  Usually, if you have less then 5 sectors just let the diagnostic "isolate" them and continue using the hard drive, testing it again every month or so.  If it reveals more then 5 bad sectors it is time to consider buying a new hard drive.   If your hard drive keeps developing new bad sectors this can cause you all sorts of issues and should be replaced.

As far as whether or not you should return it to the shop, consider this.  If your computer is off warranty and they are charging by the hour then maybe you should follow some suggestions people give you here first.  If they are being nice and checking your computer out for free and you trust them, then why not? ;)

Hollywood_Gothique

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 10:13:40 PM »
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out ASAP.

Still, I doubt the problem is a bad CD-ROM or CD-ROM drive. I've tested the CD-ROMs in other computers and they work fine.

As for the drive, we had a brand new DVD burner/CD-ROM installed when we first brought the computer in.

As for taking it back to the repair shop, they did not charge for their work last time. so I am considering going back to them. I just don't want to keep going and going and going...

Anyway, I will try the hard drive testing software you recommend. Thanks.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 05:24:15 AM »
Bad sectors indicate a failing hard drive. A standard hard drive warranty is one year, although some have 3 year warranties and Seagate even offers a 5 year warranty on their new drives. There is a reason for this. All hard drives fail eventually. Bad sectors tend to snowball so you may have many more than were first isolated. I would lean towards a new hard drive first as you KNOW it has issues.  ;)

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 09:32:09 AM »
    Serrik suggested the CD-DRIVE was not working and not reading the CDs correctly rather than the CDs themselves were bad, which we have established they are not. Have you tried using another CD-Drive in this computer?

Hollywood_Gothique

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »
    Yes, I have tried using another CD drive. We have two: the old CD-burner that was working perfectly before we took the computer in for repairs, and the new DVD burner that I mentioned before. We have the same problem with both.

At this point, I am leaning toward replacing the drive. I was ready to do so the last time we took the computer inf or repair. But the repair department assured me they could isolate the bad sectors and everything would be okay. That's one of the reasons I'm not sure about going back to them again: it seems that their previous "permanent" solution to the problem was really a temporary fix.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
      Then you have two choices.

Easy solution: buy a new harddrive.
      Hard solution: attempt to repair this harddrive, which may or may not be possible.

Your choice :D

Hollywood_Gothique

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 02:15:08 PM »
      I always prefer to use the "EASY" button! :)