Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will my motherboard slow down my new processor?  (Read 4219 times)

Brin

Will my motherboard slow down my new processor?
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
I just got a new motherboard and im waiting for the processor to arrive.  My friend told me that the motherboard i have will slow down my processor.  I dont know if he knows what hes even talk about but i want to make sure.  The processor is a AMD 2.2 Ghz 1Mb cache 3700+.   You can c its more detailed specs at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539
my motherboard is a machspeed which has detailed specs at: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2604788&CatId=0
I can always fill out an RMA for the motherboard if i have to cause i havent touched it cept i opened the box to look at it.  Plz help

P.S. Also will my 450W power supply be enough to handle my new motherboard, processor, and 7300Gt pci-express graphics card.  I heard that power-supplies under a certain limit of Watts wont be able to power the hardware.  Plz get back to me.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Will my motherboard slow down my new processor
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 02:44:48 AM »
    Brin...... I just had a look at the specs of the mobo you have , and see no reason why it would "slow down" the AMD processor you have comming . Did your friend say why it would slow it down ?
    If you have a decent 450 watt PSU , it should work just fine , however a larger one would allow for expansion down the road.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:04:47 AM »
    The key is decent. What power supply are you using?

Brin

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 05:22:04 AM »
    well it was pretty dark and i was to lazy to rummage through my house for a flashlight, but i have the specs for the PS but not the brand, they are:
    # Power Supply Features:
    # 450-watt power
    # 115v-230v manual switch

# Power Supply Input:
    # 115-230V @50/60Hz, 10A/6A

# Power Supply Output:
    # +3.3V/26A
    # +5V/35A
    # +12V/15A
    # -5V/0.5A
    # -12V/0.8A
    # +5Vsb/2A

# Power Supply Available Connectors:
    # 20/24-pin ATX Power Connector
    # 4-pin ATX12V Power Connector
    # Three (3) Large 4-pin Molex Drive Power Connectors
    # Two (2) Small 4-pin Drive Power Connector

P.S.  thx dl65, my friend was concerned about bus speeds
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 05:25:16 AM by Brin »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 05:29:19 AM »
    The brand is probably the most important factor.  ;)

Brin

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 06:17:08 AM »
    well i found a semi flashlight, and all there is, is a red sticker that says ATX Switching power supply.  and some grids with numbers, then theres a smaller white sticker that says QC PASS on it and has like another little grid.  I got the exact case with PS here: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=RED-CP601-4&cat=CAS

also on the new processor i ordered that i gave the link to earlier in this post, should i buy some thermal grease for that or do u think it will come with?
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:25:26 AM by Brin »

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 09:29:24 AM »
      I think your graphics card is more likely to slow down your computer than the processor and motherboard.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 11:23:34 AM »
      I'll let you guys debate the other hardware required, but that power supply is obviously a no-name Chinese knock off and apparently used as well. Beware.  :o

As you got a retail boxed processor everything you need will be included, including a stock heatsink/fan and thermal pad. If you are overclocking it, you may well need to get a better cooler for the processor, but with that much horsepower, there will likely be no need for that.
      « Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 11:28:11 AM by GX1_Man »

Brin

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 07:54:07 AM »
      thx for your help guys, and dont worry, im not much into overclocking.