Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE 6 closes at startup help!  (Read 2928 times)

squirreltech

IE 6 closes at startup help!
« on: January 08, 2007, 07:06:35 AM »
I have searched for days and can't seem to find out what is wrong with this
I just installed windows media center edition 2005, and I created a partition for this. It is on the E: drive
everything works great except for IE 6 and online spotlight, which is assume is tied to the IE 6 problem.
When I open IE 6 it opens fine for a split second until it fetches the home page and then it closes and presents me with a download box for that said home page. No matter what page I use for a home pages it always asks me to download the .htm file instead of keeping IE open and displaying the page. I tried reinstalling IE several ways:  
add remove programs all updates then add remove windows components
regedit change the isinstalled entry to 0
tried the ie6.inf install trick from microsoft site.
did sfc /scannow
Any time I try to download IE from microssoft and install it, it says that there is a newer version already installed. Please if you can help me I am at my wits end with this.

same problem as this guy only mine didn't fix itself
http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1162868652
and I installed firefox and it works fine but I need IE to work so that media center online spotlight will work. I'm going to try adding a new win xp profile maybe that is corrupt. Any other ideas please leave em.
EDIT: when i try to open the user accounts from control panal it doesn't open. does this rely on IE code as well. I'll try add account from command prompt.
EDIT added the account and it still does the same thing, so it is a system problem. now i am out of ideas
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:49:53 AM by squirreltech »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: IE 6 closes at startup help!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:51:51 AM »
What's on the C: drive ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "