Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Make Primary partition Logical  (Read 2370 times)

Hedonist

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Make Primary partition Logical
    « on: January 01, 2007, 11:10:25 PM »
    Win 98.se - two hard drives.

Is it possible to change the condition of the first partition on the slave drive from Primary to Logical without data loss?

heek9pm

Re: Make Primary partition Logical
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:31:51 AM »
    You may wish to restate your question. One, up to four, partitions can be can be "primary". The term  " does not refer to quality or even structure. It refers to  something most users do not need to think about.  If there is one primary partition, another partition can be an extended portion. The extended is divided into one or more logical partitions. I think the max is 16. You do not want to  make just an extended partition without there being at least one primary. Again, the reason for this is not something the average users even needs to think about. There is no meaningful performance issue. Before doing anything to your hard drive, make a full backup on either DVD or an external Hard Drive.  :-X

Hedonist

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:01:07 AM »
      Geek9pm, thank you for your interest.

I have three partitions on the master drive and two on the slave.  When MS-Dos assigns drive letters the primary partition on the master is C: then the primary partition on the slave is D:.  Following that logical partitions on the master are assigned E: and F: then the logical partition on the slave is assigned G:.  This means that partitions C: E: and F: are on the master while D: and G: are on the slave.

See the MS Kb here.

Para 4. in the above states that:
      If a second physical hard disk is found, and a primary partition exists on the second physical drive, the primary MS-DOS partition on the second physical hard drive is assigned the letter D.

so I presume that if a primary partition does not exist on the slave then MS-Dos will assign drive letters to logical partitions sequentially, assigning  D: and E: to the master and F: G: to the slave.

My slave drive has a primary partition which I want to change to logical without losing files.  Is that achievable :-?

I know that there are other ways of re-assigning drive letters, such as the Letter Assigner utility, but with the ones I've tried so far the assignments are not fixed for use by other programs, such as Partition Magic which ignores the re-assignments.

Thanks again.
      « Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 01:05:06 AM by Hedonist »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:57:48 AM »
      My slave drive has a primary partition which I want to change to logical without losing files.  Is that achievable :-?

No.

Hedonist

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »
        No.

Thank you.