Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Standby mode freezes my computer  (Read 2477 times)

Annz

Standby mode freezes my computer
« on: January 02, 2007, 03:23:26 AM »
 I am running Window XP. Standby mode has always made my computer freeze - to the point where nothing works and i have to switch it off at the wall. Therefore i never used it.

However, yesterdayand today every now and then, when i move the mouse, and the screen saver clears, i am left with the XP screen saying "preparing for standby mode" .

This is only happening on occasion and the rest of the time, the screen saver clears like normal and the screen goes back to whatever i was working on. I can not pinpoint that i'm doing anything different from when it's normal to when the "preparing for standby mode" screen appears

WorknEnrgie

Re: Standby mode freezes my computer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:20:31 PM »
I can't tell you why it's happening, but I can tell you how to disable standby so you won't have the problem any more ;)

Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties.
On the Screen Saver tab click the Power button.
Set the System Standby option to Never.

I tend to prefer to prevent my computers from entering standby (even my laptop) because of issues similar to this in the past. I know there are known issues with standby with certain virus protection programs.

Hope this helps!

Annz

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 02:10:58 AM »
thanks so so much! You've helped heaps. ;D

WorknEnrgie

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 08:27:16 AM »
no problem  ;D