Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dragging directory setting problem  (Read 1929 times)

coquelicot

Topic Starter

Rookie
    dragging directory setting problem
    « on: January 03, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »
    Hello,

I use Windows XP.
    Here is the problem:
    Suppose I have a directory named "x" containing files y and z, and in another
    place a directory of the same name "x" containing files y and w.
    Then if I drag the first directory to this place, the file y and z takes place in the
    second directory (as desired), but the file "w" in the second directory do not disappear (as not desired). In other words, dragging directories do not overwrite directories of the same name, but only add files.  
    What setting can I do to make this happen?  

Thanks.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: dragging directory setting problem
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 11:21:05 AM »
    Are you saying the files of the same name are always going to be identical in content and you always want to override the file in the directory to which you're dragging another directory?  In other words, y in directory 1 will always be the same as y in directory 2?  If so, what created the duplication in the first place?

And, since no file named "w" was in the directory to which you were dragging a directory, why would you want w to disappear?  Whatever the reason, I believe you'll have to do some manual screening.  If you really don't want w, then you need to manually delete it.