Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC won't recognize CD  (Read 2606 times)

Larry Woller

Topic Starter

Beginner
    PC won't recognize CD
    « on: January 03, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
    Hello,
    Was recommended to this forum by the instructor at Parkland Junior College Champaign, Illinois. My problem; I'm trying to install software for a Palm Z22 into my wife's desktop PC. It is a HP Pavilion a735w with Windows XP. The drive is a CD/DVD combo. I put the software in the the drive and the PC acts like it wasn't even there. I have successfully downloaded the software on my Laptop(which also has Windows XP), a Packard Bell PC which was purchased before 1998 and my wife downloaded the software at work.  I know the drive on the 735 works because I downloaded software before and after I tried the software for the Palm. I also know the software works as well as the Z22. Appearently the 735 has an issue with the software. I have contacted both Palm and HP support and no help from them.
    I have tried everything I can think(keeping in mind I would be considered a beginner at this) and am at a loss so far.
    If any of you out there can be of any help, this ole Marine would be grateful.
    Have a good day!
    Larry

Serrik

Re: PC won't recognize CD
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:36:47 PM »
    If that is like the ONLY cd that does not work in that one computer, it is likely something as simple as a variance in quality in the CD or something silly.

Looks like you can just download the software from this link, put it on your computer that way.

http://www.palm.com/us/software/desktop/

I have had the odd CD that my CD drive could not read over the years.  It is really rare but can happen and not worth worrying over unless it becomes a regular problem.

Larry Woller

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: PC won't recognize CD
      « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:31:17 AM »
      Thanks for your reply. The 735 is between 4 and 5 years old and appearently there is something in the PC's software that will not allow it pick up the cd. When I was checking for sources the letters UK kept coming up so maybe that had something to do with it. What ever the issue it was over my head. Anyway, did get the link dowloaded wouldn't download on RUN but did download on SAVE ok so my wife's Xmas present is online and up and running and everyone is all smiles this morning!!     :D

Again, thanks for the input and you have a great day!

Larry