Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Time traveling computer!!! HELP!!!  (Read 2425 times)

Calinhill

Time traveling computer!!! HELP!!!
« on: January 04, 2007, 03:31:03 PM »
I have a 2002 Gateway 2.4GHz Pentium 4 256 Ram running XP OS. Heres my issue I cant set my Windows Clock (down in the right hand bottom corner). Yes I know how to set it and yes I've changed the CMOS battery 3 times. I,ve reset the thing countless times in windows and CMOS settings. Somestimes it wont reset until later in the day sometimes immediatly. And for some reason it likes to reset it to various days, months, years but it has a liking to anything before the 1930's. I' ve done a virus and a spyware check. I've also checked for bad sectors from frustration. I've also done a Last Known good Config Restore but I get the same problem. System restore is no good cause all my restore points are non-existant before the year 1930.The only thing that I havn't done is a complete restore of the OS which I'd rather not do unless I have to.I realize that the battery may not be connecting but I'm looking for other possable isuues.OH Yeah by the way I don't get any error messages. Figure this puzzel out cause I'm tired of beatting my head against the wall. :o >:(

Serrik

Re: Time traveling computer!!! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:44:23 PM »
Bad clock? I've seen it happen.  There are even expansion cards you can install to correct the problem.

Or maybe someone else that uses your computer is messing with your head  ;D

Calinhill

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:50:05 PM »
Wish it was someone messing with my head but the computer man inside the little box gets inside his time machine while I'm attempting to reset the time so that when I hit the APPLY button I can literally see time jump a couple of times before it decides on a date. Reminds me of that SCI-FI show Quantium Leap.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:55:23 PM »
    I know you said you scanned but do these anyway, you just never know.
    Ewido/AVG Online Scan
    Panda Activescan

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »
    I realize that the battery may not be connecting but I'm looking for other possable isuues.

If the hardware is not functioning correctly everything else is irrelevant.

Calinhill

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »
    " If the hardware is not functioning correctly everything else is irrelevant"
     Yeah I realize that as much as it hurts to admit but *censored* I'm tired of playin with the thing I mean how many ways are there to put in a circular battery that goes in one way. Heck I 've even cleaned the connection. The battery connects one way that I know of and I always make sure that it's seated properly so i guess whats next? Is there anyother way to make sure the connection is a proper connection? :P

Serrik

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 07:29:15 PM »
    If it was your battery, your computer clock would only reset when you turned the computer off.

The fact that it is changing before your eyes while the computer is on makes me think its either a faulty clock, or something like a virus.

Calinhill

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 05:10:18 PM »
    Yeah I thought so. today I stuck Win98 on a diffrent HD and tested it. Clock seemed okay. So now I think I'm going ro do a complete reinstall. I used KEYFINDER to get my product key. Anything else I'm forgetting?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:42:15 PM »
    Backups...anything deemed important including but not limited to bookmarks, text files, photos, e-mail contacts and Aunt Bessie's fruitcake recipe... :D
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calinhill

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 09:08:34 AM »
    Backups...anything deemed important including but not limited to bookmarks, text files, photos, e-mail contacts and Aunt Bessie's fruitcake recipe... :D
    Yeah here's the problem don't know when the virus actually happened and I only have 1 HD backup that I continued to use so big posability that I backedup the virus. Funny isn't it. ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »
    All the more reason for a clean install. Backup what you need , format and carry on.

If you are suspicious i wouldn't use that drive backup you have for anything.

patio.   8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "