Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Lock-up when using DVD  (Read 3437 times)

jditton

XP Lock-up when using DVD
« on: October 02, 2004, 06:26:21 AM »
When I put a DVD movie in my DVD drive and close it it locks up and I have to restart the computer, if I put the dvd in during start-up or restart with it in the drive everything is fine. Any ideas
TIA

merlin_2

Re: XP Lock-up when using DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 01:17:46 PM »
is the dvd a copy?is it clean and not scratched...is there any other problem with your pc...and i take it this is winxp...

jditton

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 07:56:14 AM »
It's XP Pro and it does it with the orginals and the computer is fine and the disks are fine. It's funny but I had it happen on the PC before this one but not as often it also had XP Pro but different brand DVD and DVD Burner. I know have the DVD's open to Win DVD 4 and that seems to help, it pauses like it is going to lock up and then Win DVD starts up and away it goes.

The mysta

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 09:12:43 AM »
how old is your dvd player and does this situation arise on just this one dvd or others?
if it's just this disk then it's probally scratched or damaged
if it happens on all your dvds then maybe the lens inside your dvd player is covered in dust and then needs a clean
also if the dvd player is very old you may need some decoders in order for the disks to work
just a idea you know hehe
make sure also the disc you are trying to play is actually in DVD format as some drives are not designed to play SVCD or Div X format
hope this solves your situation