Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Distro Suggestion for application?  (Read 4389 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Distro Suggestion for application?
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »
Looking for a Linux Distro that is easy to install to use as a dumb work station terminal on P-II and P-III CPU systems w/ 256MB Ram, in which users will work through a Citrix Terminal Window for all their activities.

Looking for a distro which will be very basic with a GUI and Mozilla or KDE Browser on it and nothing else so they can connect to the Citrix Server through the browser.

Maybe I should just use Fedora and strip everything from it but the browser and GUI. If there is a Kiosk distro this might be sort of what I need. But I haven't seen any Kiosk like distros that are basic like this.

I have used Knoppix before also, but I dont know how to remove the programs from it and force the browser to open at our Citrix Server Link... Would be interrested in the Read-Only environment of a Live CD if this is possible. Otherwise a regular non-Live distro would work.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Dave  :-/

tomcat5470

Re: Distro Suggestion for application?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 06:46:46 PM »
Would *censored* Small Linux have enough on it to do the job?  It may already be stripped down enough for you.  Additionally, I like Ubuntu, but I am not a Linux expert.  It works well for me when I use it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 07:39:38 PM »
Vector Linux would be right up your alley.  ;)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
Used Ubuntu before... Nice but full featured...

Never heard of Vector Linux... Checking into it right now.. Thanks  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:38:50 AM »
Dave, whilst you're looking into this, you might want to check out the >Linux Terminal Server Project<.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos