Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wierd Freeze Issue  (Read 2396 times)

TequilaJinx

Wierd Freeze Issue
« on: January 06, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »
I'm having a strange freeze on my machine (desktop, not laptop). It's like the system crashes, but only half-way.

This happens most often when I'm away from the computer for an extended period of time. I'll come back and the power saving features have shut down the monitor and hard disks. When I move the mouse, everything comes back on. However, when I attempt to log in by clicking on my userid, the "hot" area doesn't respond to mouse click. I'm unable to use the keyboard either.

It's happened several other times as well. Occasionally, it'll happen while I'm using the machine. I was able to reproduce the issue every time while using Dreamweaver, however, I've since uninstalled and reinstalled the product and everything appears normal.

When it crashes while I'm using it, i can still move the cursor. When the cursor moves over the windows task bar, the cursor changes to allow me to widen it, however, it still doesn't respond to click. When I go over a text box, the cursor changes to a bar, but I still can't click nor does the keyboard accept input (alt-tab, windows key, nothing works).

I first noticed the problem a few days ago. Firefox had an update, and it's possible that there was a windows update, but I'm not 100% on that. I have Anti-virus installed and up to dat and no issues have been discovered. I have run Spybot Search & Destroy with only the standard tracking cookie popping up. I'm using zone-alarm and have am behind a wireless router. GRC.org shows no port issues.

I have updated all of the device drivers for my machine from Gateway's website. I have disabled the hard-drive sleep feature and turned off hibernate mode. I have scanned the hard-disk for errors, and only get minor ones after a crash. Unfortunately, the only time I can guarantee that it'll happen is after it goes to sleep.

This is driving me absolutely freaking crazy. Anyone have any ideas?

System Specs:
Gateway GM5266E
Intel 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo
nVidia GForce 7600 GS
2GB RAM
Intel ICH8R SATA RAID Controller
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 03:11:40 PM by TequilaJinx »

TequilaJinx

Re: Wierd Freeze Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:38:51 PM »
bump

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:25:47 AM »
bump
Set the power options to always on so there are no power saving features.
Does it still happen then?
What antivirus do you have?
I don't see it listed.

TequilaJinx

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 05:13:03 AM »
The power options are set to always on, i even completely shut off the screensaver. It still does it though. If i'm using it, no problem, if i leave for 20 minutes or so, crash.

I'm running Norton AV.

TequilaJinx

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 05:15:41 AM »
i've also completely removed everything from my start-up list. at point, the computer is running basic windows with a/v, no additional programs.

i've tried using system restore, but it won't let me roll back to an acceptable date.

bayern

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:17:46 AM »
I would do this first.

Look in Task manager and msconfig to see if you can spot any unwanted program(s) running in the background. Some malicious programs, such as spyware, Norton etc. may be running behind your back.

Reboot the computer in Safe Mode.

Uninstall all Norton and Norton related programs. I never have a good feeling of Norton and McAFee, these two so called anti-virus program causes lot of problems on my friends' computers, such as system slow down, internet blockage... I never understand why anyone would use it in the first place. I would nerver recommand it to anyone. A good anti-virus program is AVG. It's good and it's FREE.

Install and run AVG, run ad-aware and spybot again.

Install and run RegCleaner (also free for download.) [highlight]BE CAREFUL USING THIS PROGRAM, MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTION BEFORE USING IT!!!![/highlight]
This should clean up most if not all junks  in the system. Then rebbot it normal mode.

If this seems to be too much work or symtoms persists, . you might just do a system restore on a fresh reinstallation.

B.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:35:11 AM by bayern »

TequilaJinx

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 07:57:12 PM »
still no luck. I killed norton and ran AVG, no viruses. Spybot & adaware are clean (but i'm pretty good about avoiding spyware). I haven't run regcleaner yet, I'm starting to think it's useless.

I ran memcheck, everything's ok there.

My final options are:

1. possible usb/logitech keyboard mouse issue?
2. reinstall windows (which i despise doing)

if neither of those work then I guess I need to send it back to Gateway.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 04:04:04 AM »
That sounds like a new system that should be under warranty. Have you contacted Gateway tech support or checked the FAQ's on their site?

bayern

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 06:56:06 AM »
Hmmmm, if you boot up in Safe Mode, does it run correctly? If not, it could be a hardware issue, what hardware card(s) do you have, Try to strip it down to the minimum with no cards, use a different USB kbd and mouse, boot it up in Safe Mode.

B.

dogluvr

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
In Windows XP, how do you change thw programs that automatically start up when you boot up your system?

stones

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 03:10:53 PM »
In Windows XP, how do you change thw programs that automatically start up when you boot up your system?

Use this- http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Tequila- have you shut all that power saving crap off yet?, if not set it all to "never" and just leave the screensaver active.