Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC got zapped don't know whats wrong now  (Read 1682 times)

Xlex

PC got zapped don't know whats wrong now
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »
Hey, a few weeks ago there was a huge power surge outside my place and it took out the power in the building.  My roommate saw smoke coming from my room so she unplugged my pc.  It wouldnt turn on anymore so i got a new tower w/ a p/s.  Now it will start but every program/game will either start for a little while or wont start at all.  I don't get error messages just that the program is not responding and needs to close.  It also shuts itself down every once in awhile.  I can't install/download any large programs as I will get an error before it is complete.  I have 2 hard drives so I tried switching them but i still have the same problems so it cant be the hard drive.  I've also tried wiping the HD and re-installing windows.  What do I need to replace to get this POS going again?
Specs:
Kudoz 7e/333a
AMD Athlon XP 2400 (i think thats what it is, it runs at 2ghz)
768MB DDR
Radeon 9600XT 128mb
160GB WD
420W P/S
winXP home

GX1_Man

Re: PC got zapped don't know whats wrong now
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:26:36 PM »
I don't know that you can conclude that the power supply was the only thing damaged by the event. You need to start by stripping it to the basics - 1 stick RAM, processor/fan, basic onboard video (if available) or the card if not and see if it runs with only one hard drive attached. What make of power supply did you get? What is the motherboard make and model?