Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power switch does nothing.  (Read 2185 times)

schmiale

Power switch does nothing.
« on: January 08, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »
I'd left my computer on while I took my dog for a walk, and it was working fine. When I got back, the computer was off, and the power button did absolutely nothing. My mother insists that she didn't touch my computer while I was out and she was the only one in the house. I'm pretty sure computers don't just haul off and commit suicide, so I'd really like to figure out what happened. I don't think there was a power surge or anything, because nothing else in the house was bothered, and my computer was plugged into a power bar with surge protection. I tried changing the power cable anyway, but that did nothing. My monitor is fine, and so are my speakers, so it's not a problem with the powerbar.

When I opened the computer up nothing was unplugged, nothing looked burnt or anything, and someone told me that you could usually see a burn mark or something if something shorted. I have a wierd computer case, and the switch is off in this plastic bubble/handle at the top, and I couldn't figure out how to open that up to look at it. So it still might be the switch. I think it's a problem with either the switch itself (which is an electronic switch by the way) or the power supply, or maybe the motherboard in between I guess.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause something like that to happen? It's a relatively new computer, only a year old. Just to reiterate, nothing happens at all when I push the power button. The fans don't turn on, the LED's don't turn on. Nothing turns on at all. I haven't added anything new hardware wise either.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Power switch does nothing.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 05:55:12 PM »
Try unplugging it and pressing the power button in and holding
it for 30 seconds,then plug it back in and see what happens.

If that don't work...next unplug wait 30 minutes and repeat
the procedure.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:48:13 AM »
Take out the power supply and test it in another computer, if you don't have another computer i'm sure a shop wouldn't charge you to test it. Well thats the first thing to try anyway.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 12:50:22 AM by Crafty »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:57:54 AM »
There is also a small switch on the PSU...try Street's suggestion with the switch in both positions...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "