Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I've lost my administrator account.  (Read 2599 times)

oxenbridge

I've lost my administrator account.
« on: January 09, 2007, 07:00:59 AM »
Hi there,

I was trying to create another user account for a guest.  I had previously created another administrator account and when I was in that account my computer shut down on me.  When it restarted it was in that new account with a brand new screen and all the factory settings back.  I could not find my original documents and all my programmes that were in my administator account.  Eventually I found all I needed under the C drive in documents and settings but I cant get the actuall administrator account back.  When I go into user accounts it only lists the new account I had previously created and the very recent guest account, however, the original is not there.  I know it exists cause when I go to create another and call it 'administrator' windows tells me it already exists and that I have to create a new name.  How can I find my original 'administrator' account and get back into it again?

Thank you - David
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:02:44 AM by oxenbridge »

mreeves

Re: I've lost my administrator account.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 08:18:54 PM »
Create New Username:
I'm surprised that you were allowed to create that account in the first place.  If I were you I would never create an "administrator" account because if one day you  have to go into safe mode, that is the account you would want to go into.  What I would do is create a new account with a different name and then if you go under:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\
or
C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\

You should be able to find all your stuff and then copy it over to your new name.  

B.) Logging out & Back in
Another thing you could do that I don't know if you've tried is go into your start menu and then log off.  Then go ahead and log off or switch user and either a screen will pop up with a list of username or a dialog box will appear for your username and password.

IF the screen showing the usernames pops up and your name is not there then:
1.) Log back into an account; go into the User Accounts
2.) Click on: "Change how users log on and off"
3.) Uncheck the "Welcome Screen" at the top then click Apply options

Then log back out and that dialogue box I mentioned earlier should appear.  Go ahead and type in administrator for the username and if you had a password type that in too, otherwise leave it blank.

See if either of those things work...
--Mike

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »
More information is needed, are you using the classic login prompt. I'm going to assume that it is WinXP. If you are not using the classic login prompt all you have to do is when the login screen comes up just hit "ctrl+alt+del" (once or twice I forget) Try it once and if that does not work hit it again. Then hopefully you remember the administrator password. cheers  :).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:25:23 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

oxenbridge

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:57:58 AM »
Hey thanks guys,

Both of what you said was helpful.  Control alt delete showed me the classic logon which I could type in Administrator, and changing it back to classic logon in user accounts also did the same thing.  It is strange though that in the new login (not classic logon) the trad administrator account is not there.

But u have both saved my *censored* - thank you.