Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stuck at 640x480 + 16 bit color.  (Read 1867 times)

Typhon

Stuck at 640x480 + 16 bit color.
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »
Not sure exactly where I should put this, so I'll put it here..

Long story short my brother somehow killed the computer, after a few hours I managed to bring it back to life, except now the screen settings are stuck on 640x480 and 16 bit color. I can't change the settings no matter what..

From what I've looked up so far, everything tells me that the only fix is to go Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor -> Properties.. and to fix it from in there. The only problem is that the 'Properties' button under the 'Monitor' tab is all greyed out and unclickable, so I can't get in there to do what everything tells me I have to do to fix this problem..

Also I have the disc with the drivers and documentation for my monitor, but again to install it everything tells me I have to go into the same Monitor -> Properties section that I can't get into. So I'm lost.

Heck, I even wiped the comp and reinstalled xp and started from scratch and the settings are still not letting my change them..

However just now I noticed an 'Adapter' tab under Settings -> Advanced.. Right next to the 'Monitor' tab.. Now at the bottom of that is a 'List All Modes' button. So I went in there and selected '1024 by 768, 256 colors, Default Refresh' so now i have just about the right size, but all the colours are royally screwed up and I still can't alter the settings via the settings tab, which says my Color quality is 'Low (8 bit).

Needless to say, my brain hurts.

GX1_Man

Re: Stuck at 640x480 + 16 bit color.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »
The monitor has nothing to do with the solution. You need to reinstall your video card drivers. Do you have a disk with these? What video card is in there? If you don't know run Everest Home, make a report and post it here.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html