Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE7 - with no pink cans  (Read 3325 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
IE7 - with no pink cans
« on: January 09, 2007, 08:52:18 PM »
Er, that is, I have IE7 and no Tabs. (Get it? Pink cans? Tab? Ah, you're too young.)

Anyway, I have this snazzy new laptop my snazzy new boss gave me... Running XP Pro SP2, and IE7.

The "New Tab" option is grayed out, and Ctrl + T doesn't work. Yes, "Tabbed Browsing" is selected in options, and I've even played with the "Enable" DWord in RegEdit.

I can't imagine why it's permanently disabled, but IE is the preferred browser for some internal software, so this all would be better if I could get it to work (hence my not wanting to use MY preferred Firefox).

And I can't really bug the IT folks anymore, as I have bugged them to death regarding this crappy Lotus Notes on here...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: IE7 - with no pink cans
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 08:59:46 PM »
"pink cans", well I guess I am to young to understand but have you tried uninstalling IE7 and then reinstalling it.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »
Yup.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:00:42 PM »
Go to Tools, Internet Options, General tab, and click on the Settings button in the Tabs section.  If the box for "Enable Tabbed Browsing ..." is not checked, check it, click OK, click OK again, close IE, open IE.  Do tabs work now?

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 10:05:44 PM »
Go to Tools, Internet Options, General tab, and click on the Settings button in the Tabs section.  If the box for "Enable Tabbed Browsing ..." is not checked, check it, click OK, click OK again, close IE, open IE.  Do tabs work now?

He already tried that...

Er, that is, I have IE7 and no Tabs. (Get it? Pink cans? Tab? Ah, you're too young.)

Anyway, I have this snazzy new laptop my snazzy new boss gave me... Running XP Pro SP2, and IE7.

The "New Tab" option is grayed out, and Ctrl + T doesn't work. Yes, [highlight]"Tabbed Browsing"[/highlight] is selected in options, and I've even played with the "Enable" DWord in RegEdit.

I can't imagine why it's permanently disabled, but IE is the preferred browser for some internal software, so this all would be better if I could get it to work (hence my not wanting to use MY preferred Firefox).

And I can't really bug the IT folks anymore, as I have bugged them to death regarding this crappy Lotus Notes on here...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:02:09 AM »
Are you starting IE7 in safe mode by any chance?  What link are you using?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos