Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple symptoms, I'm confused  (Read 2934 times)

GuidOPhi

Multiple symptoms, I'm confused
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:03:54 PM »
Admittedly, I'm a computer idiot and I wasn't quite sure which section to even post this question because I'm not sure what the problem is...

After not turning my system on for two weeks while I was on vacation, I come back to have several issues.  First, the soundcard is not working.  I get messages saying that my soundcard is in use when no other programs are running.  I've run spywear programs to (spybot, adaware, registry cleaner) see if anything was running in the background, but no love.  Then my system froze a couple of times and I had to restart.  I tried a system restore to the point before when I left since it was working fine, but it was unsuccessful. When it was supposed to restart, it would not despite me leaving for an hour, the harddrive indicator light was still on and I had to manually turn the system off.  Then I noticed on startup that there is a new BEEP that was never there before, and the usual startup screen (POST? i think - the one that shows things loading and hardware that is detected) isn't there anymore before the Windows logo appears. I tried defragmenting the harddrive and doing a scandisk since I didn't really know what else to do and the owner's manual said to give it a shot.  Oh, and I checked the log today in safe mode and there is an entry about multiple drivers failing to load (probably why there's no sound?).  Anyway, if anyone can make sense of this, please help.  Sorry for making it so long, I just wasn't really sure what might be relevent or important.  Thanks for taking the time to help!

GX1_Man

Re: Multiple symptoms, I'm confused
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:06:48 AM »
What is the computer or motherboard make/model? How old? What version of Windows?

GuidOPhi

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:26:27 AM »
It's an Emachines T4510 (Yea, I know...but I've never had any problems with it in the past).  I'm running Windows XP home edition.  Also yesterday this thing wouldn't start up at all when I tried to power it on.  Then fan would start, but nothing else would happen for most of the day.  Then all of a sudden, it starts just fine today.  I really hope my hardware isn't failing and that its a software issue I can fix somehow, but I have a feeling this is probably something pretty bad.

stones

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 03:01:12 PM »
Get a replacement power supply as soon as possible before the existing one destroys the motherboard!.

E-machines put suicide bomber power supplys in their computers that fail and destroy the motherboard after a year and a half to 2 years.

No, im not kidding!, I have an E-machines T-2642, my original motherboard was murdered last year.

GuidOPhi

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:10:31 PM »
Oh wow.  Yea, I've had this for a few years now.  Any way of knowing what kinda damage has already been done though, or if it is reversable if I do get a new power supply?

stones

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 11:19:55 PM »
If it still boots up then it hasent killed the board yet, just goto your local computer store and spend at least 50bucks on a good power supply (spend a little extra to get something of quality in the 400watt+ range) 20 dollar power supplys are the leading cause of damaged motherboards/processors/vidcards ect besides user error.

This has been an ongoing problem with Emachine computers, they put the cheapest power supplys they can find in their systems.

Have a look at these consumer complaints
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/emachine.htm
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/emachine_power.html

GuidOPhi

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »
You're right, I did see a number of complaints online about the power sourse frying and killing the motherboard, so I went and bought a new one today.  But sadly, the same problems still exist.  No sound (error message saying something else is using the soundcard) and now I'm getting a POWER SURGE ON HUB PORT message over and over again for a USB Device (But I have no USB devices connected).  This message started yesterday prior to my installation of a new power source today.  If there's anything else I can try, I'd appreciate someone letting me know.

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 02:00:34 AM »
    If there are physical errors... We hope the best for you. You need service - computer service.
    I'm thinking now at power spikes... I hope you disconnected your computer from power plugs for the vacation. It does not matter if you were on vacation or not, but when you were it's suppossed you didn't need your computer working.