Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lots of files in C: drive.  (Read 2141 times)

Jarenj

Lots of files in C: drive.
« on: January 10, 2007, 03:45:48 PM »
(I apologize in advance if this doesn't make a lot of sense. It's a hard problem to explain, and I'm not good with describing things that are wrong with my computer!)

I recently got an HP laptop in November. It has an AMD Turion 64 with 80 GB of hard drive, and, of course, Windows XP. Every thing was fine until there was a new update for Windows. I don't remember exactly the name of the update, but I kept having to install the update over and over again. After researching, I found that it was normal and that some people had to install this update 80 times. As annoying as that was, it wasn't a real problem.

However, a short time after I started these installations, I noticed odd files in my C: drive, having such names as 1d07d9201b8e13550fbb51dcc4a8 and de399ce41a434c92da688d6929c8be. When I open up the files, there's only a text document inside. As I continued to update, the files continued to grow. Now that I'm finally finished with the update, I swear I have a hundred files on my C: drive with these weird names. I'm thinking that these files have to do with the upate.

When there were only a few files, I thought I could just hide the files, since I figured they were useless. But after doing so, every single program on my computer disappeared. Finally, I had to go back and "show" these files again to get all of my programs back.

Is there anything I can do about these files? It's really annoying to have to scroll down just to get to my program files, and I'd just rather have them off of my computer. Thanks in advance!

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Lots of files in C: drive.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »
Not that I know of. You are correct they are windows updates. I too have 1 odd named folder by "5e3f805bcd23dec4baebc457b6381e" but no more.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:56:39 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

stones

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »
Hotfix info for rolling back to previous versions if need be.

Goto tools/folder options/view/ check "do not show hidden files or folders"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 05:07:04 PM by stones »

mcf747

Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:41:49 PM »
    I have two folders named like that one has a txt file and the other with a hole buch of file, but the two combined only take up 50mb of space.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 06:00:33 AM »
      I have one which takes up 0.25MB. They are folders, not files. Important difference.