Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Display Problems  (Read 5141 times)

BlueMav04

Monitor Display Problems
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:09:04 PM »
Hello...
I came across this forum after trying to do a search on "google" to try and fix my problem. I was going to try and search on this forum on how to fix it, but I figured it would be best to just explain my issue, since there really isn't any direct keywords to use in the search function.
Just recently, my monitor's colors seemed a little off..
While watching a longer video while online, I noticed that my monitor was kinda flashing and changing to what it was now and back (which isn't a whole lot, but yet noticeable)
For ex:, When I did a search on my issue I went to a color/display calibration. And this is where I can check how green/red/yellow looks etc.
First of all, The color "green" is more of a really dark green.. Almost at a glace would come off as a dark grey almost black color. My start menu button shows up that way.. (Which should obviously be green) White tends to seem that it has a small amount of pink in it.. Kinda..
Orange seems to be brighter than it should be or off color. Overall, the color scheme seems off..
Some sorts of colors seem normal, depending on shade, for ex: the blue bar at the top of IE, and the gray scrolling bars seem normal.
I have checked my monitor cords, they are tight....
I have degauzed my computer screen several times...
I have updated my drivers with my video card...
Any idea what I could do?
List of what I have that goes with video..
17" e-machines CRT monitor..
ATi Radeon x800xl Graphics card.
-- Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks

pcfool

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Monitor Display Problems
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »
    don't know if i can help..

1. have u test your monitor on other computer?
    2. the way u update your graphic card driver may b wrong. if u don't mind u can try this, go to your graphic card manufacturer official website, search for your graphic card model. eg.if your graphic card manufactureris ASUS, go to ASUS, if MSI, go to MSI.
    download the latest driver for your model.
    before u install your graphic card driver, remember to uninstall your previous installed driver and restart. after restart u can start to install your driver.

good luck!

BlueMav04

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:50:41 PM »
    I updated the driver hoping to fix the problem without any luck..
    When I hit the menu button on the computer the color "green" in the menu shows up fine. Also if I unplug it the little "your monitor is working correctly" window flops around like normal too.
    So I'm kind of doubting it's the monitor.. But I could yet be wrong..
    Just wondering if I over looked some setting....

stones

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:40:01 AM »
    It really sounds like the monitor is faulty(by faulty I mean the screen writing dohickey isnt working right), get it replaced under warranty or purchase a fancy new LCD monitor as the prices for 17inch LCD's are under 200 bucks these days.

Before you do that though try removing your graphics card and see what happens.
    Uninstall you video drivers then shut down the pc, take the cover off and remove the card.
    Reboot and have it run on the built in graphics chip for a while and see if it still does it.

If the problem persists then the monitor is more likely the culprit.
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:45:14 AM by stones »

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
      If the green inside the start menu works fine, as you say, that would point to a graphics card fault. Is there anywhere else these colours are fine? Please doublecheck your menu too.

You really need to try swapping monitors/cards if you can, as that would be great to help pinpoint the problem.

It sounds like it could be a bent pin on your cord's connector. I had this once. Undo it and check.

On your graphics cards options, there are features to change the way colours appear. Perhaps someone has messed around and it's been accidently changed? Take a look.

Stones, LCDs don't have a "screen writing dohickey" like CRTs do...
      « Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 06:10:28 AM by Neil »

stones

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »
      Ahem- ::)
      "List of what I have that goes with video..
      ***17" e-machines CRT monitor.. ***
      Thanks "
      « Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:57:36 AM by stones »

BlueMav04

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:07:38 PM »
      Ahem- ::)
      "List of what I have that goes with video..
      ***17" e-machines CRT monitor.. ***
      Thanks "

I'm a little lost on your use of that smiley..

-- Quick question; do I have to unplug my video card from the slot and plug the monitor cable into the integrated one for the integrated one to work, or can I just plug it into the other one w/o removing the video card? I tried without unplugging the videocard from the slot and plugging into the integrated one and I didn't get any results.. The monitor didn't ever come back on until I plugged it back into the normal one.

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:41:53 PM »
        You need to change over in the BIOS. Usually press delete as computer first turns on.

stones

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:33:09 PM »

I'm a little lost on your use of that smiley.
        Neil reminded me that LCD's do not work like CRT's
        "Stones, LCDs don't have a "screen writing dohickey" like CRTs do... "
        You dont have an LCD monitor so I pointed that out in my post and gave it a smiley.
        Sorry for any confusion.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 02:39:50 PM »
        Guys, guys, guys.  You are making this way too confusing ::)

Try that monitor on another computer and try another monitor on this computer to see where the problem is. Post back and we will go from there.

PCFool, please try to use complete sentences and avoid the text messaging so people can understand you. Take your time with your composition and then press the POST button. This is not a chat room.
        « Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 02:43:35 PM by GX1_Man »

BlueMav04

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 06:54:57 PM »
        Another question.. I live a pretty busy lifestyle, so borrowing another monitor and trying it out and all would take some time.. However, I do have a laptop. Is there a pretty simple way of connecting the laptop to the monitor and using that to check to see if the monitor is the issue?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »
        Sic em GX...

patio.    8-)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stones

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »

The video card and its drivers need to be removed from the system to use the original output.
        On second thought if you gointo system properties/hardware/device manager and disable the video card it may have the same result without needing to uninstall or reconnect anything (havent tried it myself).

I dont know if you can connect it to a laptop or not, I have never owned one, but if it has a D pin output its worth a try.
        « Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:31:35 PM by stones »

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 06:33:15 AM »
        This continues to be made more confusing and difficult than necessary. When you try the above post back.

stones

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 11:42:25 AM »
        This continues to be made more confusing and difficult than necessary. When you try the above post back.
        I really dont mean to make it more difficult then necessary its just that trying the monitor on another system can be complicated initself, for me to do such a thing its a 50 mile drive.

Bluemav- I am using a 17inch CRT monitor that came with my E-machines system, its manufacture date was late 2002 and its brightness and colors are not as good as when I first bought it, How old is your monitor?.
        « Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:46:13 AM by stones »

BlueMav04

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
        I really dont mean to make it more difficult then necessary its just that trying the monitor on another system can be complicated initself, for me to do such a thing its a 50 mile drive.

Bluemav- I am using a 17inch CRT monitor that came with my E-machines system, its manufacture date was late 2002 and its brightness and colors are not as good as when I first bought it, How old is your monitor?.

I believe it was purchased in August or so of 2005.. So about  1 1/2 years..
        But like you said, I myself, dont have such easy access to a monitor to trial and error; but I do have a laptop.. Both running Win XP..

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 04:18:43 PM »
        You guys have fun then. A laptop is not the answer.

stones

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 05:37:50 PM »

I don't understand your atitude, he said he doesn't have easy access to another PC or monitor to swap and test, its nothing personal against you GX1.

BlueMav04

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 06:06:30 PM »

Okay, now I remember my brother setting up his laptop so he can plug it into a TV, now why wouldn't you be able to figure out how to run it by the laptop.. Only problem is, that I don't think the port that would be what the monitor would connect to would work...   Crap Deal...
        Anyways, long story short, it's just off on a shade of color..
        White has a pinkish to it..
        Green is more of a dark dark green which shows up like gray..
        and the others are hard to figure out how they are different, but just are.

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 09:13:32 PM »
        I don't understand your atitude, he said he doesn't have easy access to another PC or monitor to swap and test, its nothing personal against you GX1.

The problem is that this is the easiest and cheapest (free) solution to see where the problem is. Wanting a laptop to work this out does not mean that it will. You can't reason some things out with computer problems, and frequently changing out parts is the only way to a solution. There has to be a methodical way to do the problem solving. When people ask for a solution and then don't want to take the advice offered that is their business. I choose not to persevere in these cases.

I would hazard a guess that EVERYONE knows someone with a computer. It may not be your brother and it may not be next door, but it's not far.  ;)
        « Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 09:16:02 PM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 08:07:26 AM »
        I would hazard a guess that EVERYONE knows someone with a computer. It may not be your brother and it may not be next door, but it's not far.  Wink

Quote of the Month !

Kudo's GX1_Man.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BlueMav04

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 08:56:34 PM »
        Okay...
        So I broke down and went and bought a new monitor..
        17" LCD Samsung SyncMaster 731b, and the colors were back to normal.. So, I think the monitor was the problem..
        However, I was playing an online FPS(1st person shooter) game, and after awhile I got this 1 really thing line. On my screen it shows up pink, but it also tends to disappear when the background is white. Its completely vertical...
        This monitor has probably less than 2 hours use out of it being brand new..
        Now I understand it could be defective too, but it wasnt like this at the start of running it.. So what worries me is that something else caused this problem and if I exchange the monitor that this might happen again..
        Any ideas?