Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacement heatsink clips/mount  (Read 4222 times)

tuckeral

Replacement heatsink clips/mount
« on: January 11, 2007, 07:08:18 AM »
Hi all.

My sister has asked me to look at her PC - a Dell Dimension 2350 with Pentium 4 2.5GHZ (socket 478) processor, as she is experiencing frequent crashing.  I quickly identified the problem - her processor heatsink is loose as the mount (the black plastic base portion screwed onto the motherboard) the processor heatsink sits in is broken and the clips (holding the heatsink on top of the processor) which normally clip onto the mount/base portion are missing.  Therfore I'm confidently guessing her processor is overheating causing the crashing.

My question is this - how do I obtain these replacement parts?  Having never purchased either a retail boxed motherboard or retail boxed heatsink I'm not sure which one - if either - would come with the necessary parts?

Her current heatsink is a Coolermaster 1U581 0240 (according to the markings on it) and it's working fine if the PC tower is left running on its side (so gravity is holding the heatsink in contact with the processor).  Ideally I am looking to source the replacement mount/base and clips for the heatsink.

Her motherboard is unbranded (as far as I can tell) and has the serial number CN-07W080-70821-2AV-G0KP (looking at the description on Dells website for the Dimension this is the standard motherboard that came with the Dell when purchased.

Any pointers gratefully received - thanks all  :)

Tagelmo

Re: Replacement heatsink clips/mount
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:38:16 PM »
I'm not sure about specific replacement parts if you're looking to fix the current heatsink/fan, but you can head over to www.newegg.com and buy a new replacement heatsink/fan without having to purchase a new CPU or mobo. Just make sure that the form factors match up.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
As Tagelmo said, any Socket 478 heatsink/fan would work, as long as it is rated to work with that speed of processor, eg don't buy one only rated to work with up to 2GHz as it won't cool that 2.5GHz properly.
Also, make sure that it will physically fit in her case - check the dimensions.
Newegg is a good source of parts and reasonably cheap - if you're in the US.
Finally, make sure the overheating PC is not used as excessive heat may damage the processor.

tuckeral

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:14:59 AM »
OK thanks both.  Being fairly cheap I'll go with a whole replacement heatsink/fan combo and hope the clips I need come with it.

As for newegg.com, being based outside the US this is no good to me (I live in the UK).  The majority of US sites don't ship outisde the US or US territories - very frustrating at times!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »
Try some of the small repair shops in your area...i'm sure you will find what you need.

Also get a tube of Arctic Silver thermal compound for the re-assembly.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »
OK thanks both.  Being fairly cheap I'll go with a whole replacement heatsink/fan combo and hope the clips I need come with it.

As for newegg.com, being based outside the US this is no good to me (I live in the UK).  The majority of US sites don't ship outisde the US or US territories - very frustrating at times!
Awesome, another UK resident!  I agree, most of the good sites people here suggest don't ship to the UK and it can be frustrating as everyone assumes you're American, because most people here are.  No criticism intended by the way.
Try dabs.com, they have pretty good prices and a wide range of things to suit you needs.
Also savastore.com are pretty good.