Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton e-mail scanning gone haywire  (Read 3556 times)

Yeyforhelp_99

Norton e-mail scanning gone haywire
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:24:22 PM »
For a while now, ever since I got the 2006 version of Norton Anti virus, the e-mail scanning hasn't worked. Norton tells me every time I start up that there is an error regarding the e-mail scanning, and I was wondering if anyone would know some possible solutions. Its really annoying.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Norton e-mail scanning gone haywire
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
So, the error message appears when you start your computer, right?  Once you get beyond that point, does Norton scan you incoming mail and, if set for this, your outgoing mail?  Can you run a full hard drive scan with Norton?  

Have long have you had the 2006 version of Norton Anti virus installed?  Was it working right after you initially installed it?  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?  Have you contacted Symantec about this, or searched for info on their website?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »
Can't solve your issue but as a public service i'll post this for future reference as it may come in handy someday....

DLoad and run the tool below...

Norton Removal Tool

1) Use Add Remove Programs first and un-install Norton...
2) From Windows Explorer search for any folders named Norton and Symantec and delete them...
3) DLoad and install ERUNT and have it make a backup of your registry...
4) Open regedit and type Norton in the search bar. Delete all entries it finds. F3 takes you to the next  instance of Norton. Continue til you have reached the end of the registry...
5) Repeat the above process using Symantec instead in the search field. Delete any Symantec keys it finds...
6) Now run the Norton Removal tool you DLoaded...
7) Empty the recycle bin...
8) Go to My Computer and right clik the C: drive and select Properties and run disk cleanup...
9) Re-boot and run disk defrag....

There you're done !

See how easy Symantec makes it for you to dump their product ? ?

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »
Thank you very much for that, I'm facing uninstalling Norton soon for my uncle.
I remember last time I tried to uninstall Norton AV 03, and there are still traces left after all this time on the old PC.
Thanks for the guide, I'm sure it'll be useful to lots of people.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »
I also posted it in your thread about his machine...i've been everywhere and back today.  ;D   ;D

patio.  8-)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 01:23:52 PM »
I also posted it in your thread about his machine...i've been everywhere and back today.  ;D   ;D

patio.  8-)
Lol.
Public service announcement, brought to you by patio the guru.

Yeyforhelp_99

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »
So, the error message appears when you start your computer, right?  Once you get beyond that point, does Norton scan you incoming mail and, if set for this, your outgoing mail?  Can you run a full hard drive scan with Norton?  

Have long have you had the 2006 version of Norton Anti virus installed?  Was it working right after you initially installed it?  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?  Have you contacted Symantec about this, or searched for info on their website?
I don't know if it scans my mail or not, but I assume that it isn't since it constantly tells me there is an error when I open it. After I start up my computer, the error message doesn't pop up again but it always tells me when I open the home page of the program. And yes I can do a full system scan with it.

I have had it for maybe 3 months now, I think, and I don't think the mail scanning has ever worked correctly. I have reinstalling it and searched for info on their website but nada. Sometimes I wonder if it actually is working right but thinks there is an error for some reason.

Yeyforhelp_99

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »
Can't solve your issue but as a public service i'll post this for future reference as it may come in handy someday....

DLoad and run the tool below...

Norton Removal Tool

1) Use Add Remove Programs first and un-install Norton...
2) From Windows Explorer search for any folders named Norton and Symantec and delete them...
3) DLoad and install ERUNT and have it make a backup of your registry...
4) Open regedit and type Norton in the search bar. Delete all entries it finds. F3 takes you to the next  instance of Norton. Continue til you have reached the end of the registry...
5) Repeat the above process using Symantec instead in the search field. Delete any Symantec keys it finds...
6) Now run the Norton Removal tool you DLoaded...
7) Empty the recycle bin...
8) Go to My Computer and right clik the C: drive and select Properties and run disk cleanup...
9) Re-boot and run disk defrag....

There you're done !

See how easy Symantec makes it for you to dump their product ? ?

patio.   8-)
This is the "family computer" and my parents want Norton on it so I'm not gonna worry about getting rid of it. I'll have my own laptop by next year without Norton :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:58:33 PM »
If they want Norton on it then that is their decision.
Family wins in any situation.
So let's try and fix it as is.
What are they using for e-mail and when is the last time Norton did it's updates ? ?
Also does that package from Norton's include a firewall ? ?
And is Windows firewall running as well ? ?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:08:08 PM by patio »

Yeyforhelp_99

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 06:27:34 PM »
We use yahoo for e-mail and it is updated regularly. This package does include a firewall so I turned off windows firewall. Sorry it took a while to respond, now this thread is kinda old. But the problem remains!