Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Purchase Orders  (Read 3677 times)

mreeves

Purchase Orders
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »
I have a question...

We currently have a system set up on Microsoft word like this for our purchase orders:

Page 1: Cover Sheet
---Asks A bunch of different types of items, each little thing affecting another thing.  For example, we want this Item, it will be part #00001, but if we want it to include an overhang or something it will change that part # to 122340  Things like this constantly occur over the page.  

Page 2... on: Parts Sheets
---This area is affected by the stuff on page one.  Currently we have a guy who does about 16 pages worth of this stuff, goes down to the parts sheet of the "Master copy" and then deletes parts he doesn't need, and adds other information such as qty and size and such.  If we had a program where the top page automatically set the bottom pages up then that would be great!

Situation:
---We need it to do something like ask questions or stuff of the information on Page 1 and when we're done our purchase order needs to be able to print out this nice neat sheet of parts required and have a cover sheet like the one we currently have.

Problem:
---Not only is this program impossible to find, but we'd also need a program that will allow for constant changes.  We add new parts in at least once a week and we'd need to fix the logic in there.
---Also we need this to gather from our "inventory" sheet that has the part description and we would base everything off of that part number.  The Inventory is currently set to be in Excel.

I really need help with something like this, whether it be I go ahead and program it in MS Access or create a website version or whatever, we need to get something set up and I understand a program this massive may be expensive, but that's okay.. whatever it takes.

Thank you
--Mike

GX1_Man

Re: Purchase Orders
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:09:13 PM »
You may want to check with Rob Pomeroy:

http://pomeroy.dyndns.info/

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:27:57 PM »
    mreeves ....... It sounds like what you trying to achieve is to have the inventory adjusted according to items listed on the purshase orders ....... Is that pretty much what you want ?

Approximately how many inventory items are we refering to ?
    Approximately how many purchase orders per day are we dealing with ?
    What sort of commodaties are we dealing with ?

What else do you do thats related to inventory control ?
    Invoices ?

let us know ,

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mreeves

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:14:01 PM »
    Yea I did a bad job trying to explain that but I think we're working on something in another direction... if at a later date I need to ask it again I'll be sure to do a better job.

Thanks anyway guys,
    --Mike

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »
    If you don't want to invest lots of time into a bespoke solution, I believe Microsoft's InfoPath would be right up your street.  It's a pretty amazing bit of kit and is included in the Pro version of Office.

As GX1_Man kindly mentioned, some programming assistance (DB/web) could be available if you would like.  But please, if you're doing this yourself, DON'T use Access as your back-end.  It's way too fragile in a multi-user environment.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos