Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printing  (Read 1963 times)

urkson

Printing
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:19:07 AM »
Running WinXP 512Ram

When printing documents the computer slows almost to a crawl. Processor usage jumps to 100%. Why does this happen and will increasing virtual memory help.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Printing
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »
Does this printer connect to your computer by USB or parallel port?  How much memory does the printer have, i.e. of it's own memory?  What make and model printer is it? 

I have two Canon printers attached to my computer, models BJC-2000 and BJC-3000.  The BJC-2000 is a parallel port device and, just as in your case, my CPU usage jumps to 100% when I print with it and other tasks on my computer become noticably slower.  The BJC-3000 can use either parallel port or USB; I have it connected via USB.  When printing with it, CPU usage increases, of course, but does not shoot all the way to 100% and the impact on computer performance may not be noticeable at all unless a very large document is being printed. 

If that printer can use a USB port, try that.  If not, assuming you've got the best driver for your printer installed, the only solution, I believe, is to get a new(er) printer. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:48:39 AM by soybean »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Printing
    « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »
    You don't tell us what you're trying to print or the type of connection or printer.  Just word processor docs,  graphics / parallel or USB / wireless?  A little more info would help  ;)

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!