Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SigmaTel VOIP Teamspeak Trouble  (Read 4497 times)

enoknab

SigmaTel VOIP Teamspeak Trouble
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:05:01 PM »
Hey guys, I have a SigmaTel High Definition Audio soundcard and I believe it may be incompatible with the VOIP for Battlefield 2142. Everytime I start up a game or enter the audio options my computer crashes and reboots itself. I recently encountered the same error with Teamspeak. Can anyone please confirm if this is true and if so, what do I need to do to fix the problem and get this game up and running. Thanks.

stones

Re: SigmaTel VOIP Teamspeak Trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »
Please list as much information about the hardware installed on your computer and the operating system as well, no detail is too small.
This will make it easier to troubleshoot the problem.

enoknab

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:52:19 PM »
all right, here goes:

Gateway 835GM
Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium D Processor 820 2.8 GHz dual core
800 MHz FSB
1Gig RAM
250 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon X700 graphics card
SigmaTel high definition audio CODEC (suspected problem see above post for details)

Thats about all I could think to add.  Let me know if any other information would be useful.
My guess is that I need a Soundblaster card in order to overcome this problem but I have no idea why that would make my computer completely restart.  I have been getting a system error window at restart that involves either a .dmp file or a .xml file when it reboots after loading a map in Battlefield 2142.  Unfortunately I don't know what this kind of file is.  Thanks again for any information you can provide!

stones

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »
I found this and think it might help.

bf2voicesetup.exe crashes -
http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80038

enoknab

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »
thanks, but unfortunately not the problem.  That thread was made by people who can actually play the game and can't get VOIP to work.  My computer reboots as soon as a map loads so I've never even played a level in single player or multiplayer.  It also reboots whenever I go into the audio options.  I have been looking around for some time now and no one seems to be having this problem.  Any other suggestions?

stones

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:38:15 PM »
Well lets review exactly whats going on.
-Everytime you try to start Battlefield 2142 the computer crashes and restarts
-Everytime you try to enter audio options the computer crashes and restarts
Microsoft may have a solution for this but first I need the error codes to search their database.
To get those codes disable the autorestart feature in my computer(right click)/properties/advanced/startup and recovery settings.
Have a pen and paper handy and start the game or enter audio options, the computer will crash to a blue screen this time with an error message, write down the error codes exactly restart the computer and post them here.

Other then that you could try updating the drivers for the sound card by doing the following
 start the computer in Safe mode, and then update the Intel audio codec driver for the SigmaTel audio codec to the latest version. To do this, follow these steps: 1. To restart the computer in Safe mode: a.  Restart the computer.
b.  When you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press F8.
c.  On the Windows Advanced Option menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
d.  If you are using a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select Microsoft Windows XP Professional in the list that is displayed, and then press ENTER.

2. Update the audio codec driver. To do so: a.  Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
b.  Expand Device Manager, and then in the right pane, expand Sound, video and game controllers.
c.  Right-click Intel(r) AC'97 Audio Controller - SigmaTel Codec, and then click Update Driver.
d.  Click Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and then click Next.
e.  Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install, and then click Next.
f.  Click to select the Show compatible hardware check box, click Intel(r) AC'97 Driver Audio Controller, and then click Next.  
g.  Click Finish, and then click OK.
h.  Shut down and then restart the computer.

enoknab

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »
Well I may be officially retarded.  I recently had to wipe my harddrive as something was going screwy on it and my monitor had turn all washed out purple.  Not sure if this was related or not but starting over from scratch usually is the best bet for me.  Upon doing this I found a program called Intel Studio Audio that runs on my desktop.  I have deleted this many moons ago as I didn't think I needed it to run anything important.  Could this missing program have caused all of my trouble?  I don't know the answer yet since I still have to restore all of my computer to get it in working order again.  Any thoughts?  Would this program control microphone related programs and be vital to the game and teamspeak working?

stones

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »

I am not familiar with Intel Studio Audio so I cannot say for sure, sorry.
With your fresh install its bests to try it again and come back with the results.