Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CAN I UPGRADE LAPTOP WITH GRAPHICS CARD???????????  (Read 4204 times)

JO HAON

CAN I UPGRADE LAPTOP WITH GRAPHICS CARD???????????
« on: October 04, 2004, 11:16:27 PM »
 hey thanks for coming in

i got a new toshiba laptop and i dont have a good graphics card cause i forgot to have them put one in when i bought it. now i cant run video games like city of heroes and and other good games that i have been wanting to play. also when i play games such as halo my characters are gray and very choppy. i dont want this to ruin my gaming experience and i thought u guys could help

thanks yo
jo hoan! :'( :-[

Raptor

Re: CAN I UPGRADE LAPTOP WITH GRAPHICS CARD???????
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 11:19:06 PM »
You would been cheaper off buying a Desktop, which are somewhat meant to play games more than a Laptop is...

Why not return the Laptop and ask them if they can install a videocard for you?

Corrosive

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 01:03:50 PM »
Raptor's right: if you want games performance, get a desktop.

Laptops, funnily enough, were designed to be portable and as such, manufacturers try to make things as light as possible. This usually means that pretty much everything was soldered directly on to the motherboard. They never thought that it was a problem because hey, the only folk buying laptops were businessmen using MS Office and very little else.

They also tend to have very underpowered parts in order to try and conserve a little bit of battery life. If you are really wanting to get a little extra speed, you could try a bit of overclocking. This invloves increasing the voltage in the CPU *SLIGHTLY* in order to get a few extra Hz out of it.

Of course, higher voltage, more battery drainage and so more time spent with the thing plugged into a mains socket. Which, in my mind, kinda defeats the point of having a laptop in the first place...

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 01:31:43 PM »

(1)...pretty much everything was soldered directly on to the motherboard.

(2) They never thought that it was a problem because hey, the only folk buying laptops were businessmen using MS Office and very little else.

(3)...you could try a bit of overclocking...

(1) Video cards have been separate plug-in cards for at least 5 years.

(2) Not any more.  Laptops are becoming more "mainstream" and are used as desktop replacements.  With 7200rpm drives, performance is virtually equivalent.

(3) Not an option on a laptop.