Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer help.  (Read 6340 times)

moviefan81

Computer help.
« on: September 28, 2004, 04:52:29 PM »
Hi. I was wondering if someone could maybe give me some advice, or help about a problem that my computer seems to have.

This morning, I turned on my computer, and everything was fine for about an hour, but then there was this problem that seemed to happen. Whenever I visited a site, I would get pop-up after pop-up, and even when I went to my homepage, I got numerous pop-ups.

Then, my computer got really slow, and keep disconnecting from the internet. Another problem, is that my computer kept freezing up, and I've had to restart it numerous times.

The first thing that came to my mind, is that maybe my computer has a virus?

I use to have Norton Antivirus, but it doesn't scan anymore... I do have "maintenance wizard"...

If anyone has any idea what the problem with my computer is, I would appreciate any help. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Computer help.
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 07:10:38 PM »
    moviefan81.......What do you mean you used to have Norton Antivirus...but it doesn't scan any more......?

Certainly sounds as if your pc is infected with who knows what ......
    You must install and scan with Anti Virus ( one that works) and also I would suggest Ad-Aware and Spybot .

I would also D/L and run stinger ...just to do a quick check for a few nasties.   http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Then I would got to ..... http://www.symantec.com/index.htm     scroll down to downloads......then select security check ........now do the scan for viruses.

Do yourself a favour and get a good anti-virus. You can D/l Norton AV .........free for 90 days ......

let us know
    dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 12:33:56 AM »
    Trend Micro - Free Online Virus Scan

Install a decent virus scanner, but first use this.

Scan for Spyware as well.

moviefan81

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 04:00:29 PM »
    Thank you for the advice.

Norton antivirus use to scan my computer every friday, but it stopped scanning my computer. I click on "Norton antivirus", but it doesn't do anything. Maybe I need to install Norton antivirus again.

I installed "spy sweeper" and it found some "spyware" and "adware" on my computer. My computer is a bit faster today, and I'm having no problems with pop-ups, but it still disconnects from the internet every now and then.

Once again, thank you for the advice. I'll keep you updated on how things go. Hopefully those links you provided will help fix my computer.

Thanks.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 06:19:02 PM »
      moviefan81......Have you checked Norton to be sure the "Auto Protect" feature is still enabled? Some viruses will disable that feature ....... Have you D/L and ran stinger ? Is your Norton up to date with the latest virus definitions and is your subscription still valid .......

let us know

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 06:20:28 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

moviefan81

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 12:21:46 PM »
      My computer has been running great the past two days. after scanning my computer with "Spy sweeper"... it seemed to fix my computer right up. It's running fast, and it's not disconnecting from the internet like it was last week.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me. I really appreciate all the help, and I know if I need some computer help, I'll come to this site for the help.

Thanks again everyone.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 12:38:23 PM »
      I suggest you use a browser such as Mozilla Firefox and configure it strictly so that not even tracking cookies get through.

Also run your spyware scanners on a regular basis. Same goes for virus scanners.