Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with opening D Drive  (Read 2099 times)

Hatman

Problem with opening D Drive
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:01:04 PM »
I have Windows XP. Recently I got a virus so I decided to reinstall windows. I moved everything I wanted to keep onto D drive, and deleted C drive and re-partitioned it into C Drive and F Drive. I then reinstalled windows and all my programs onto C. I didn't touch D during this whole process.

Now, whenever I click on D drive to open it. Windows displays a message saying: "Please go to the control panel to install and configure system components." I have to right click and select open from the menu to access the drive.

I have already tried looking for autorun.inf and deleting it, but I can't find any file like that on D drive. How do I fix this problem? It's really annoying.

Hatman

n
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:31:05 PM »
Oh. And in case anyone was wondering. C, D, & F are all partitions on the same disk.

SHENGTON

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Re: Problem with opening D Drive
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »
Symptoms

When you double-click a drive letter (hard disk) from My Computer, you may see any of the following error messages:

Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components

Windows cannot find Autoplay.exe

You'll also see that Autoplay is the default context menu when you right-click the drive.
Resolution

This happens if there is a file named Autorun.inf in the drive's root directory. Right-click the drive and choose "open", look for this file Autorun.inf and delete it. Restart Windows.

If the Autorun.inf line reads the following, the first error message is displayed:

[autorun]
open=Setup.exe

C:\Windows\System32\Setup.exe is launched actually

If the Autorun.inf line reads the following, the second error message is displayed:

[autorun]
open=Filename.exe

(where the filename.exe file is missing)
More Information

The file Autorun.inf is not intended to be on the hard drive root folder. They are used in CD-ROMs (to launch CD programs automatically).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Problem with opening D Drive
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:54:25 AM »
What exactly did you copy to D: and what method did you use ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "