Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No monitor, mouse or keyboard.  (Read 2424 times)

WallyV

No monitor, mouse or keyboard.
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »
Hello! I have a question regarding my wife's computer.  It is an HP a450n, and recently when trying to power it up the monitor, mouse and key board do not show any signs of life except the monitor going into "power save mode" like the computer was turned off.  I sought out some "friendly" advice and replaced the mother board, but that did not fix it.  I also swapped a know good video card & memory into it.  None of the suggestions have worked.  If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.
-Wally

GX1_Man

Re: No monitor, mouse or keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:56:49 AM »
Sounds like a power supply issue. What happened prior to all of this? How old is the machine?

HP's have notoriously small and poorly constructed powere supplies. I think that one is a whopping 250w el cheapo. This is a common problem.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=961952&admit=-682735245+1169200645352+28353475

Top it all off these are proprietary units, so you can't go to the local computer shop and just buy a PSU off the shelf.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 02:59:48 AM by GX1_Man »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:13:59 PM »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

WallyV

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 06:44:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, but I neglected to mention that the first thing I did was swap the PSU out of my PC into hers.  It did nothing.  I'm not the most computer savvy person, but the wiring harness out of mine had the exact type of plugs and appear to plug in the exact same way.  Is there an internal difference if the plugs are all the same?
Thanks-
Wally

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 08:25:56 AM »
It's possible...i had this issue with a Dell once. They are wired differently.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "