Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstall XP Home from the hard drive  (Read 2520 times)

Virginia

Reinstall XP Home from the hard drive
« on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »
I want to be able to reinstall XP Home [highlight]without using a cd for the actual installation[/highlight] but have not been able to find the instructions to set up the necessary files.  I have done this with Win.98se.  Have searched the WWW without success.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

SHENGTON

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Re: Reinstall XP Home from the hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »
I want to be able to reinstall XP Home [highlight]without using a cd for the actual installation[/highlight] but have not been able to find the instructions to set up the necessary files.  I have done this with Win.98se.  Have searched the WWW without success.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Installing an OS without using a CD?...Maybe you should copy the CD installer of XP Home Edition and put it into your HDD. Then double click the setup...That's the only thing i know in installing without a CD installer of XP Home Edition.

Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 07:04:26 PM »
Thank you.  Yes, the cd has to be copied to a folder but an .inf file must be constructed to contain the responses, such as the Product Key and Time Zone etc.  That's the bit I'm searching for in order to make the reinstal completely automatic once started.

SHENGTON

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 07:24:24 PM »
Thank you.  Yes, the cd has to be copied to a folder but an .inf file must be constructed to contain the responses, such as the Product Key and Time Zone etc.  That's the bit I'm searching for in order to make the reinstal completely automatic once started.

Isn't it the installer of XP has an .inf, right? which we found in the installer which is autorun.inf. Is that your problem?...Isn't it the installer has complete files needed in order to have a clean installation right!

Virginia

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 12:27:48 AM »
Isn't it the installer of XP has an .inf, right? which we found in the installer which is autorun.inf. Is that your problem?...Isn't it the installer has complete files needed in order to have a clean installation right!

Autorun.inf is just to automatically open the cd and start the Setup.exe program.  The .inf file I want to create has to contain all the information which users have to enter when Setup is running, such as the Name, Product Code, Location etc.  Setup accesses the file instead of waiting for input via the keyboard.

A typical Win.98 Setup.exe .inf file can be viewed here.

Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 12:33:46 AM »
     Virginia.......  
    http://www.hytekcomputer.com/Articles/XPInstall/1.shtml
    This link is courtesy of Google ..........
    It will explain how to do exactly what you want to do.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:36:08 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Virginia

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 01:18:14 AM »
    Thank you dl65.  

I had Googled many times, guess I must have overlooked this site.

peav007

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »
    hi newbie  here.

it sounds like you need an unattended install for this.

try this link

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

hope this helps

cheers john :P

Virginia

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
    Thank you John.  My original request was how to create an unattended reinstall of XP without using a cd for the actual installation, i.e. from the hard drive, not how to make a cd to do the job.

The site suppled by dl65 showed exactly what I wanted and I can report success.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Virginia