Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display Problem  (Read 2417 times)

bahamut27

Display Problem
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:29:57 PM »
hey..just have a small problem with my desktop display...it isn't displaying anything on the background, not sure why...when i go to my control panel (i'm using xp by the way)and apperance/themes then click change desktop background, under the desktop tab, the box to select an image for my background is greyed out, along with the browse button and the drop down menu for position (centre, stretch, tile) and also the apply button. i have no clue why or how this happened since before it did, everythin was fine. it was jus one afternoon i turned on my computer and i noticed a black background and no image...im thinking its a virus on my user name, since the other two user names on the computer dont have this problem...any help is greatly appreciated since its just not the same without my anime on the background..lol..ill try to get a screen shot of the display properties, so you can see what im talking about if my description wasnt good enough
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 09:31:01 PM by bahamut27 »

pcfool

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Display Problem
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
    this is weird! i never encounter this before. :-?. i don't know got any other solution for this, you can do a virus scan. you saying that other 2 users don't have this problem it mean something wrong with your user profile. this is normaly how i do, log in using other user name or administrator, go C:\Documents and Settings, you'll see your user folder inside. rename your user name folder to a different name, eg your user name is 'user1', so you rename it to 'user1-backup'. log out and log in using username 'user1', you'll see all your desktop icon and file inside my document is missing, right click desktop, property,check back is it working normally. then you can go to C:\Documents and Settings\user1-backup, copy desktop, my document, favorites, paste to C:\Documents and Settings\user1.
    other way to do is create another new username, just copy all your document to your new user profile.
    good luck

SHENGTON

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:43:06 AM »
    Your Desktop background was disable. So we need to edit your registry here. In order to enable your desktop wallpaper try this method below:

-----Method--1-:---------------------------
    Registry fix-Automated :
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/wallpaperenable.reg
    --------------------------------------------

-----Method--2-:---Manually (XP -Pro)------
    1. Start > Run > gpedit.msc
    2. Under User configuration > Click [Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\]
    3. There will be a value named "Prevent changing wallpaper" > Set it to "Not Configured"
    --------------------------------------------

-----Method--3-:---Manually (XP -Any)------
    1. Open Regedit
    2. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
    3. Double click the value named "NoChangingWallpaper" > Set it to 0
    4. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
    5. Repeat Step 3

bahamut27

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »
    i tried the auto-fix, that didnt do it, and i tried to do it manually, but when i go to[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\, there is no active desktop under there, just under CURRENT_USER, but i havent tried what pcfool recommended so ill give that a shot
    « Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:38:12 PM by bahamut27 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:46:46 PM »
    this is weird![highlight] i never encounter this before. :-?. i don't know got any other solution for this[/highlight], you can do a virus scan. you saying that other 2 users don't have this problem it mean something wrong with your user profile. this is normaly how i do, log in using other user name or administrator, go C:\Documents and Settings, you'll see your user folder inside. rename your user name folder to a different name, eg your user name is 'user1', so you rename it to 'user1-backup'. log out and log in using username 'user1', you'll see all your desktop icon and file inside my document is missing, right click desktop, property,check back is it working normally. then you can go to C:\Documents and Settings\user1-backup, copy desktop, my document, favorites, paste to C:\Documents and Settings\user1.
    other way to do is create another new username, just copy all your document to your new user profile.
    good luck

Be careful of the advice you take.  ;)

bahamut27

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 08:42:54 PM »
    i noticed that first part, but at the moment i dont really have any other choices, unless you have a suggestion also.  and pcfool's suggestions arent something i wont be able to undo anyways, so i dont see any harm in trying, but thanks for the heads up

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 08:23:40 AM »
    Is that you wangming ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »
    Which one?

bahamut27

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 05:51:25 PM »
    who/what is wangming exactly?? :-?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 04:20:19 AM »
    Just an in-joke.
    He's a bit crazy, doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and provides amusement to many of us, especially street1 and Raptor.
    He's overdue for another visit I think, anyone know where he's got to?