Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 98 startup problem. virus? or ?  (Read 2102 times)

dman5711

windows 98 startup problem. virus? or ?
« on: February 04, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »
My spare computer is running windows 98. Several months ago a problem started where the computer had to be reset several and also I had to restore. Now when I start up the computer it loads to a red norton screen and says the virus software was unable to initialze the virus scanning engine database. The only option is to click ok.
The windows starts to load then shuts down. The start button or icons do not appear.
The cd drives will not run any programs and the computer is locked. I am also unable to access safe mode. Please help. I have information on the hard drive that I have to access.
Thank You

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: windows 98 startup problem. virus? or ?
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »
    One option is to load Windows into another directory other than the default directory , which is C:\Windows.  That way you get a clean install, can get to your data & save it, then reformat and start new.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 06:29:39 PM »
    My spare computer is running windows 98. [highlight]Several months ago a problem started where the computer had to be reset several and also I had to restore[/highlight]. Now when I start up the computer it loads to a red norton screen and says the virus software was unable to initialze the virus scanning engine database. The only option is to click ok.
    The windows starts to load then shuts down. The start button or icons do not appear.
    The cd drives will not run any programs and the computer is locked. I am also unable to access safe mode. Please help. I have information on the hard drive that I have to access.
    Thank You

I don't understand what that means. THere is no system restore on Windows 98.

dman5711

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 09:18:33 PM »
    I had to use the program go back to restore to a previous time. Also I am unable to use any other directories.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »
    The next step would be to slave that drive into a functional machine and retrieve your data. After that is safe you should format this drive pronto.  ;)

dell_guy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 04:42:39 PM »
    yes slave the drive but make shure the sys u r using is fat32 and not ntfs or it wont work to get the in fo off it  ie:win98 will not work with 2000 or higher use 98 or 95 to get info

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 05:34:17 PM »
    Bad advice again dell guy. Please think carefully about what you are writing BEFORE pressing the "Post" button.

Win 2000 AND XP can read any drive formatted FAT32 which is what Win98 uses.

It's also helpful NOT to dig up old posts. This issue was resolved 10 days ago.  ;)