Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't connect to the internet!  (Read 5564 times)

manimal

I can't connect to the internet!
« on: January 25, 2007, 11:20:14 PM »
Hi. My problem is as follows.

I tried to connect my laptop to another computer to download a file via a network cable. I didn't really know what I was doing, so I ran "network setup wizard" several times to try to get the computers to recognize each other.

Anyway, it didn't work. But when I removed the cable and tried to get online via my laptop, something was amiss. I use wi-fi, and the wireless connection thingy in the system tray says its connected, but apparently the computer won't recognize it. I can't connect to the web and no program recognizes the connection. Furthermore, when I open the "Network Connections" list there is a new connection listed under "Internet Gateway" called "Internet Connection".

I think what may have happened is that when I ran network setup wizard I accidentally configured the computer to run under a network via a shared internet connection and it thinks it has to connect via another computer. But how do I set it right? BTW, I can't disable the connection called "Internet Connection", and it refuses to connect via dialup. When I open Internet Explorer it defaults to "cannot access this page in offline mode" and usually stops responding when I try to close it.

I would be eternally indebted to those who could provide assistance.

manimal

edit: I have a dell XPS with XP Media Center Edition, a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller network card, an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless network adaptor and a WLAN USB 2.0 wireless network adaptor.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:31:24 PM by manimal »

manimal

Re: I can't connect to the internet!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:24:23 AM »
Here is a screenshot showing the status of the internet connection that I am unsure about. Sorry about the size. http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1909916
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:25:42 AM by manimal »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: I can't connect to the internet!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:29:08 PM »
What options do you get if you right-click on the Internet Gateway item?  You need to switch off internet connection sharing basically and reconfigure your network connection.  You might find it helps to have a read of the networking FAQ - see the link in my signature.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos