Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card, Motherboard Upgrade help  (Read 3399 times)

frostjacket

Video Card, Motherboard Upgrade help
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »
hey I want to upgrade my computer so I can play a slew of newer games, namely FEAR and Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion. My current specs are:
MS Windows XP Media Center Edition
hp Pavilion Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.0GHz
1.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
160GB HD
I'm not sure about the motherboard, but I know it's doesnt have PCI-E slots
I'm wondering if it's worth changing my motherboard and graphics card so I can play these games, esp. since vista, DX10, and other things are coming out soon
Also, if someone can tell me how to check what my motherboard is, I really appreciate it; should I upgrade to 2.0GB RAM, how would I check RAM and know which is most compatible. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 08:59:20 PM by frostjacket »

GX1_Man

Re: Video Card, Motherboard Upgrade help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:17:27 AM »
Everest Home will identify the motherboard BUT it will be an OEM for HP so there may be differences. Check the HP site with the computer model number as well.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

www.crucial.com to identify the RAM characteristics you need. Speed is not the only factor.

HP power supplies are notoriously small, so that will be the next place to look if you want to upgrade the motherboard/CPU or use a high end graphics card, BUT some have a proprietary design and you cannot just buy one off the shelf. HP are not known for true gaming PC's.

frostjacket

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
hmm...if I was to replace the motherboard, get a graphics card, change the power supply, possibly add more ram, would it be more cost efficient to just buy a new computer (like buy parts and build it myself)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 03:03:38 AM »
If you do all of that you basically HAVE bought a new computer. A new one may be about the same price.