Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my pc slows down when...  (Read 2779 times)

roger104

my pc slows down when...
« on: January 22, 2007, 12:42:18 AM »
Hi there, need help on my pc. My pc slows down when i'm running 2 or more programs simultaneous and my media player will sound distorted (like a pirated/corrupted copy) when I open other program/s such as Word, Excel or when I copy or scan a file. How do I fix it?

GX1_Man

Re: my pc slows down when...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 03:30:44 AM »
Start by telling us about the computer, RAM, operating system, service pack on it, virus and spyware protection, etc.

Information gets relevant responses.  ;)

roger104

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:14:11 AM »
Why does my Win media player (ver. 9) hang-up/distorted sound when I open other application(ex. Word, Excel)?

My PC: Windows XP;  Pentium 4 2.8GHz
RAM: 512MB

It's like there is something grounded inside. The sound distortion comes along with the blinking of the LED infront the CPU.

parkourpan

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:28:59 AM »
most likely you need more ram...like 1gb.  does your speakers sound fine before you start multi-tasking?

roger104

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:54:44 AM »
 Yes my speakers are functioning well. Ive tested other speaker and the result were the same. I don't think its in the RAM. I dont have any other applications installed (games, softwares, etc) that would require such.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:36:36 AM »
Start by telling us about the computer, RAM, operating system, service pack on it, virus and spyware protection, etc.

Information gets relevant responses.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:37:48 AM by GX1_Man »

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:19:12 PM »
most likely you need more ram...like 1gb.  does your speakers sound fine before you start multi-tasking?

He doesn't need more RAM, 1gb-2gb of RAM are only for the extreme gamers. 512MB is enough RAM to play music. It is most likely some sort of malware, again what kind of malware protection do you have.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 02:12:33 PM »
    Run both of the scans below then come back.
    Ewido/AVG Online Scan
    Panda Activescan

stephen.marki

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »
    That used to happen to me to... That only happens to me now if I have like 50 programs running... Firstly... Drop Windows Media player and go with WinAmp... It is way better... And the way I fixed it was I got an upgrade... I got a new stick of ram and it started working again... So ya... I know what you are talking about... Like I said get rid of Windows Media Player... Do not use Windows Products unless you have to... There are a lot of bugs in them...

bayern

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »
    When you said the computer lcd blinks, it's a sign it's accessing your hard drive.

What programs were you running? What other background tasks are running? If background tasks such as scheduled virus scan, backup,  updates are running while you try to do work or play any kinds of av on your pc, you will notice the slow down.
    If you don't have background tasks running, it could be the programs take up lots of ram or accessing hugh amount of data from you harddrive or both, could even be a malware causes it. There are many reasons why a computer slows down, more detail would help.

B.

roger104

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 07:11:48 PM »
    Thanks a lot guys.

My computer is not connected to the internet anymore, but it is used to be. I experience the problem eventhough i only run a Word and WMP at the same time.
    I dont have much knowledge on computer hardware, etc. Hope these info could help.

MB: Asus P5RD1-VM
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.8GHz
    RAM: 512MB
    HD: 80GB
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Norton Internet Security (Downloaded)
    I have also run Dr. Web’s CureIt

bayern

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 10:28:48 PM »
    Hum...  Norton huh. Get rid of it will likely help.

B.