Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A few RAM questions.  (Read 1721 times)

Airek

A few RAM questions.
« on: January 22, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »
I've decided to upgrade my computer slowly until I get it to where I want it to be.

I'm starting with the ram. Currently I have 1024mb of ram. Two sticks of 512 PC3200. I plan on upgrading to 2GB. Now my question is, should I keep it at PC3200 across the board for uniformity? Or would I be better off getting faster RAM for the upgrade? Also, should I got straight for one 1GB stick, or should I get two more 512s for total of 512 512 512 512.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks folks.

Airek

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: A few RAM questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 06:02:32 PM »
Travel to Crucial's site and enter your MBoard info to see if the higher speed is supported...if it isn't you will be spending more than you have to as a higher speed will default to the speed the board supports...
The second consideration would be matched pairs which can run faster. Keeping this in mind i would go with a matched set of 1G sticks for the best performance.

Cheap RAM is not worth it but you don't neccessarily have to break the bank. Shop around for price but buy a quality brand name.

patio.  8-)

p.s If it's a good enough deal i might grab your 2 512's....i'm rebuilding a machine for my brother.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 06:04:45 PM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "