Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp pro install not finding hardware  (Read 4374 times)

ricky1me

xp pro install not finding hardware
« on: October 05, 2004, 06:46:58 PM »
Hi, I am installing xp pro (not upgrading) and after the install, I cannot get on the internet because the system does not detect a Nvidia Nforce MCP network controler.
How can it not detect a piece of hardware on the system? I have done the install two times now same results.

I have on the same hd xp home and it runs fine and detects everything it needs to....

thanks for the help

Mac

Re: xp pro install not finding hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 12:17:49 AM »
Have you applied SP2 to the install, with the Micosoft firewall? Possibly the firewall needs to be turned off to let your own firewall regulate all connections.

Just guessing, as that is what happened to me when I re-installed XP Professional after slipstreaming SP2 into the Original XP CD.

Have you formatted to FAT32 or NTFS (?) as a matter of personal interest.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 12:33:33 AM »
If it is an onboard NIC, you will have to install the motherboard drivers.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 12:36:49 AM »
Sorry, but will you say why you have XP Home on the ... same ... hard drive?

Is this really necessary?

ricky1me

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 12:03:50 PM »
Hi,

How can I install the drivers if there is no hardware present? It does not detect the Nvidia Nforce MCP network controler.

I tried to do an upgrade from xp home to xp pro and in the middle it ask's for the i386 folder to be put in the cd drive.  Say what?

"slipstreaming SP2 into the Original XP CD."

How do I do that then? Thanks for the help.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 01:01:21 PM »
 maybe you should have chose customize when setting up winxp pro have a look at an emulation of how to install winxp pro on an old hard drive >http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdoldhdd/indexemu.htm       slipsteam eplained here>http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 02:19:22 PM by merlin_2 »

shield

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 01:49:03 PM »
even if it cant find the hardware, have you tried to manually scan for hardware in your control panel? or if you use the autorun on your mobo disc , installing the software/drivers for it, winxp might then pick up the hardware. (happend to me before) have you also checked to see if your network card is well fitted? or is it an onboard.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 11:06:44 PM »

How can I install the drivers if there is no hardware present? It does not detect the Nvidia Nforce MCP network controler.

If it is an onboard videocard, installing the drivers will allow Windows to detect it.