Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Running Programs on Another Hard Drive  (Read 3822 times)

Shafticus

Running Programs on Another Hard Drive
« on: October 05, 2004, 07:06:46 PM »
I recently purchased a 160 GB drive w/ an external case and installed it.  I was wondering if how I can move program files (namely games) from my old drive and still have them show up on My Programs and have them work when I enter the CD.  Is there any way?  Thanks.

mektek

Hopeful
  • Witty comment to be advised
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Running Programs on Another Hard Drive
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 02:21:53 AM »
    It is best to uninstall them and re-install selecting the new drive as the location to install them at the setup prompt - This will set them up properly and will show them in My programs.

If you just move them to the new drive this can often cause a lot of problems with directory paths and the Registry.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 04:38:00 AM by mektek »
    Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
    A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

Computer_Commando

Re: Running Programs on Another Hard Drive
    « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 02:28:12 PM »
    I recently purchased a 160 GB drive w/ an external case and installed it.  I was wondering if how I can move program files (namely games) from my old drive and still have them show up on My Programs and have them work when I enter the CD.  Is there any way?  Thanks.

It is not adviseable to install programs on an external hard drive.  They may fail to operate properly and could be a lot slower than you desire.